The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I just planted and filled it yesterday. I'm currently using an Aquaclear HOB while I wait for a chance to order a new disconnect for the Eheim. CO2 hasn't even been set up yet. As you can see, the glass is still dirty and the water's a bit cloudy.

I'm using re-reused Eco-Complete that is now going on its 3rd tank. I basically cleaned it like you would Fluorite or 3MCQ. So it doesn't have any of the original nutrients it had out of the bag. But after draining the last tank, and scooping it all out, there was a lovely puddle of gooey organic matter (snail poop and mulm?) that I collected and applied as my thin bottom layer on the new tank.

So I'm starting with a little bit of organic goodness in there to get things going.

Stay tuned for better pics after things are all cycled and the CO2 is going. I'm not sure yet what I'll be stocking the tank with just yet, but I'm open to suggestion. Maybe some killies?

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Neat. I like the idea of stocking with killies. It seems they are almost ever used for planted tanks, but there are a number of them that ought to be suitable.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Are killies known to be jumpers?
Church that is a NICE stand!!

and the HOB actually doesn't bother me.. it looks pretty flush to the rim of the tank

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL the stand is one of those Big Al's Stingray stands, so I can't take any credit for it other than taking a chance on ordering one. It is a good stand, though. I also have one under my 45g (the 36" version, of course!).

About the killies, yes I'm starting to see that killies are jumpers, so I don't know how that's going to work out. Although, the lampeye killies are promising. Anyone know if lampeyes are jumpers? How many could I put in a 10g?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-40w Current Satellite, with dual-daylight bulb
-EI dosing
-Pressurized CO2

My camera is dead right now, so is the spare battery, and I can't locate the AC adapter at the moment... otherwise I'd take pictures and show off to everyone how the microsword is actually TAKING OFF!!! :biggrin:

It's only been 5 days or something like that, and the microsword is spreading! This defies all that I've learned about this plant from past experience... it always takes a real long to get established and start spreading. Everyone seems to agree on this!

Well, with this tank I decided to try something new and actually be delicate with the planting process, and so far it seems to have made a difference. What I did this time was I made sure to ONLY use potted microsword that I personally and meticulously removed from the stonewool, then I painstakingly cut sections of rosette that contain anywhere from 1 to 4 blades of grass or so. I then planted them in the UNFILLED tank, nice and deeply, but gently. Then I laid some newspaper on top of the substrate and filled the tank up!

Now, 5 days later, it's spreading like wildfire!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Neat. I like the idea of stocking with killies. It seems they are almost ever used for planted tanks, but there are a number of them that ought to be suitable.

Killies are not common because they are top level dwellers and they like to jump.

Clown Killies are beautiful fish but too expensive to have them all jump!!

edit-- didn't read church's post on killies lol

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still considering lampeyes, even if it means I have to put a glass lid on the tank. Still not sure if they're jumpers. What other slightly unusual fish are there that would be comfortable in a 10g and still have somewhat of a schooling behavior? Anyone?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This pic is from a few days back, so it's not new, but I just realized I never posted it. Nothing much, but the glass is clean, the CO2 is on, and I've added a few stems. On the left in front of the big rocks is a bunch of L. aromatica, and in the back right is a small bunch of L. arcuata. These are not meant to be permanent. Just growing them out in the high CO2.

I still need to find my AC adapter to charge the batteries on my camera, so I can take a few new pics and show the microsword growth! It's the fastest I've ever seen lilaeopsis grow...

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have considered that before, actually, just not for this tank. I don't think lilaeopsis would grow very well (if at all?) in brackish water.

But I do plan on doing a brackish tank eventually. That's one type of tank I've never done before. And thanks for the congrats!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, since you asked, I can post a few quick, overexposed, cell phone pics! They're pretty crappy, and you can't even see how the microsword is spreading, but they're pics nonetheless...

FTS:

Look how big the L. aromatica has gotten (each stem was only about an inch tall when I put them in):

And here you can see my stunted L. arcuata (I don't know what happened?):

I'm so sick of not being able to find my battery charger for my camera, so I guess I'm going to have to go out this weekend and buy a new one. When I do, I'll take some real pictures.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
What other slightly unusual fish are there that would be comfortable in a 10g and still have somewhat of a schooling behavior?
Since I am planning to downgrade to a 10 gallon tank next year I have been searching for schooling fish suitable for a 10 gallon tank.

The lameye killifish I saw on You Tube school. There is one that is a shimmering gold. Then there are also the Celestrial Pearl Danios and Pencilfish.

I called Westside Aquarium, since I am planning to move to Tampa area, and he said he could get some pencilfish. Have you been to Westside Aquarium store? It is at3409 S Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa, FL 33629. The phone number is (813) 839-4751‎

The L. aromatica looks like it needs more iron to bring out the colors in it.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might be wrong about that. Most of the information I found states water hardness is not an issue.
Hmmm. Well that's good to know then. Thanks!

Have you been to Westside Aquarium store? It is at]3409 S Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa, FL 33629. The phone number is (813) 839-4751‎
No I've never been there before. It's really far away from me, which is probably why. Judging from the address, that must be way down south almost to the air force base I think? I will have to give them a call though and see what they carry. Thanks for the heads up!

And as far as the limnophila, I don't know why it wouldn't be getting enough iron, I mean, I'm dosing CSM+B at the recommended EI levels. Unless, I'm dosing too much N, which is keepng it too green? I do have a bottle of Seachem liquid iron, so if needed I can use that. But I'd rather wait until the tank is going strong, because it's still cycling and I don't want to take the chance of giving algae an advantage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The L. aromatica growth is amazing. This tank should be pretty sweet with swimmers and a little more growth!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I would like to know what you find out about Westside Aquarium store.
For he was a bit vague with me to whether or not he could get the Pencilfish. For said if I was willing to wait a few months he could get me the Pencilfish. I thinking of getting some Pencilfish for some here in Georgia while I am down in Tampa. Will get some for myself after I move down.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
The limno aromatica is indeed growing quite well. Great job, Church! Nice avatar, lol. It's like the reverse of Oliver Knott's tank. :)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! Which one of his tanks is this the "reverse" of? He only has about 93 million of 'em! Anyway, thanks, because for my tanks to remind anyone of an Oliver Knott tank, I must be doing something right. :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts