The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Perhaps unpopular, but this is my opinion on cycling heavily planted aquariums. Beautifully written and put together by Darrel on ukaps. (Be sure to read the links!)

Just add plenty of fast growing plants and stock one species at a time. I find it much more enjoyable that way😊

plants use nh4, no2, no3… let them take care of it for you. Let the tanks microbes establish themselves, if you have some already established media, even better. Take a step back and enjoy the tank. The first month or two often go by awfully quick!

· Registered
155 Posts
That method can definitely work with many fish that don't require well-established tanks. Especially if one does testing to monitor water quality. But it doesn't work for many beginners or those not willing to put in effort or research to fully understand what's involved. Doesn't usually work well with substrates that release absolutely tons of ammonia - like in this particular user's case
Agreed, all you have to do is let the tank mature a bit longer. For example, I’d never introduce otocinclus to a newly established tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts