The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to choose good substrate to use alone (not a layer under gravel).
Has anyone had good experiences with using ADA substrate, Florite, Eco-complete, etc. alone?

Any info would be great!

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, any good amount (depth) that I should think about if its the main substrate. 3,4,5 inches?
Suggestions/ comments would be great!
Thanks!

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
Three inches is about the most that is needed in substrate depth. If you make hills or slopes in the substrate you need to have deeper substrate in the higher elevation areas, of course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will ADA AS have any adverse affects on the pH of my water? It all ready comes out of the ground at about a 6.2. How much will it change and how low can pH go for plants?

·
Registered
9,105 Posts
Really doesnt matter as long as your not keeping rift lake ciclids or suleiwesi shrimps. Get the AS and be happy! :thumbsup:

Will ADA AS have any adverse affects on the pH of my water? It all ready comes out of the ground at about a 6.2. How much will it change and how low can pH go for plants?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
For most plants pH is not an extremely important parameter (and many of the currently popular "picky" species like Erios and Toninas actually like very soft water).

So IMO it would more impact the fish that you keep. Stick with soft water fish like Amazonian fish or SE Asian fish and you should be fine (and there are plenty of common softwater species in the hobby to chose from...)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
If you don't mind the cost, AS is absolutely the way to go. While not that much cheaper, Flourite and Eco are less expensive which is appealing. I have used Flourite with good success, but nothing beats a tank with pure AS.

AS will really do some funky stuff with your water param for the first few weeks, which can be a little freaky. Plant heavy from day 1, fill so that you don't disturb the subrate, and then just let it sit for ~3 weeks before even thinking about putting fish in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm going to go with Florite because I've use it before with great results, and I won't have to pay for shipping. The LFS carries it.

Any specific comments for Florite?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
Wash it, wash it, and then wash it some more.

If you've already used it before then you probably know that already, though. (I learned the hard way... :hihi:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually never washed it to start with. I was just very careful when I filled the tank and was sure I did not make any mistakes when I was aquascaping.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I actually never washed it to start with. I was just very careful when I filled the tank and was sure I did not make any mistakes when I was aquascaping.
that works in the beginning.. but when you have to make any changes.. or move plants around.. it will get really cloudy quickly. I would wash it again and again.

I have used sms with good results.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
When you rinse, be gentle. It's clay, if your rough with it you'll be rinsing forever.
Go to a paint place, and ask for a 5 gallon paint strainer. Maed a big difference when I rinsed my last 6 bags, and wish I had it for the first 6.
When you fill, take you time (A few hours) and fill slowly to keep the dust down.
You can lay the plastic bag down on the substrate when you fill to help keep the cloud down as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally Posted by fishnchips123 View Post
I would put about 3-4 handfuls on a fine screen, over a bucket, and gently spray a garden hose on it and run ur hands thru it a lil bit. Best way I've found so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts