The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gal tank that is planted fairly densly, i was looking into some school fish for it. what kind of fish would be best for that tank and how many could i have? In the tank i already ahve 3 cherry shrimp and 1 yellow dwarf puffer which is only 3 cm and is probably full grown.

Thanks in advance

Evan

·
Registered
567 Posts
Livebearing fish would be fine--guppies, platies, swordtails, or a couple of mollies. (The mollies can get pretty big depending on type)

You could also go with smaller tetra types--neon, cardinal, etc. Or rasboras.

Zebra danios (or their color mutations like leopard or blue)

Small rainbowfish species like Threadfin, Signifer, Furcata, or Gertrudae

Killifish tend to stay small as well, but don't really school and you need to have a good lid to keep them from jumping.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I like neons for color. And I feel they're a good size for a 10 gallon tank.
I'd remove the shrimp to their own tank. I tested Red cherry shrimp in a tank and my neons and rasboras hunted them down.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Remove the puffer, and then you can add other fish, but with it, all other water column moving organisms are just expensive toys or food. You can always add more puffers. I'm surprised your shrimp haven't become dinner.

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a dwarf puffer in my 55G.

People recommended that I take him out too, but he's never caused a problem. Not aggressive at all and doesn't eat my shrimp! I think he's a unique case. Just monitor him for unwanted behavior.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.