The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single male betta in a 30 gal. planted tank. I'm working on dwarf hair carpet and not too many tall plants with a driftwood center piece. I am looking into a good, small but hardy schooling fish with striking colors. White Cloud minnows really catch my eye, but I hear they are fin-nippers and shouldn't be housed with bettas. Any suggestions or experience with schooling fish w/bettas?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've kept all sorts of fish with my Bettas, only had an issue with the Serpae Tetra. They were huge buttholes to all of my fish. I hated them. Very pretty, but nasty.
If the Tetra have enough of each other to annoy, they should leave the Betta alone.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
you can do a lot of different fish with a betta, ive even kept guppies with them. id say neon or cardinal tetras would be very good or Rummy nose tetras because they are fast swimming fish and not aggressive.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have kept angels, ottos, cories, scarlet badis, dwarf puffers, and platys with my male betta. My brother has endlers and a breeding pair of BN plecos with his. I say go to the pet shop and just find something you like. As long as your betta hasn't been subjected to a mirror as some people think thats a good way for the betta to stay entertained then it wont be aggressive towards other fish. It may flare up at them and chase them a bit, but I personally have never had a betta that would nip at the other fish.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The general rule for betta tankmates is, pick something fast that can get away and avoid bright colors that may cause the betta to think they're rivals. Of course, if you have lots of plants to break up line of sight, these are breakable rules.

·
Registered
484 Posts
do a nice school of cory cats bc they're a blast to watch and very very peaceful. The mind their own business.

although I never kept them, is do harlequin rasbora.

Actually also, a cool fish would be kuhli loaches. Pretty neat. I have kept a bunch with betta and imo I love the combo of the two, both Asian species and unique personality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts