The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55gal with the standard two fluorescent tubes that came with the aquarium. I would like to grow some carpet type plants but there seem to be so many lighting choses. The Nova w/ 4-54 watt T-5's, Orbit and Coralife w/ 4-65 watt compact fluorescent bulbs. Metal Halide not in my current budget. What is the main differance in compact fluorescent bulbs and standard fluorescent bulbs? Will 260 watts be to much light, and will the jump in light output cause my tank to become an algae factory? I have C02 injection so I would like an increase in plant growth. Any lighting suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the exact same decision to make, Coralife 4x65 versus Nova 4x54. The Nova runs cooler right? My room may have some heating issues and that would be the deciding factor for me if they are about equal in plant growth.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
A 4x55 watt AH Supply bright light kit with enclosure is comparable in price, a 2x96 watt is less. An enclosure will give you a cleaner look and you will not have a bright light in your eyes while sitting in a chair. Mounting the ballast externally, on the back of the enclosure, clears any heat concerns......DC

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 55g with a odysea 4x65watt cf light. We just bought a tech 8x54watt hoT5 light for growing clones. Wow what a difference. We can only run the 4 middle lights had to take out the outside bulbs.

Now I wish I had the 4x54w tech light over my 55g:icon_frow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.