The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for an economical light that will light up a 60 gallon (24" tall), low-tech, low/med planted tank. I was looking at:

Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light

VivaGrow DN RGB LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 24/7 Remote Automation

Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W

Obviously, spending less would be better. Do you think I could be successful with any of these? Anything else I should be considering?

Thank you for the help. I'm still a bit of a newbie with something at this scale.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
Links are broke.. vivigrow is a Finnex 24/7 knockoff..
Actually a good deal for a one trick pony (if using a ramp up/down) array..
Assuming they didn't "tweak" the program:

but PAR at 24" is a bit low.. in the 30's most likely.
24/7 numbers
depth/offset 1" 6"
12" - 75
16" - 65
18" - 48 45
20" - 45 40
Don't really recommend any Currents beside the "pro" version..

Beamswork is theoretically the most powerful light of the bunch.

All are somewhat lacking for a 24" tank and each is "really" different than the other..

Reactions: Chibils

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the Beamswork you listed on a 22" deep 72 gallon Bowfront. It does a good job. There's always limitations with a low tech set up, but they can still look fairly plush. I won't be winning any scaping awards but my plants are doing well considering no CO2.

Also, it's currently sitting on the legs that come with it. I found it was just a little too bright for the Anubius sitting on the glass tops. You would be able to sit it on glass tops if you have them. The legs add a good 2 1/2 inches or so to the height.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The best low tech fixture I have found is actually a diamond plate shoplight from Lowes....I am using these on my 75G tanks and they are really growing low light plants very well. Vals and java fern growing like weeds. About 40bucks for the fixture and a set of 6500K T8s. You can paint the outside black to make it look more like an aquarium fixture. I have left mine alone as they are in my fish room and I don't mind the diamond plate look :)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_271069-1353..._?productId=3231452&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1

Reactions: Chibils

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
The best low tech fixture I have found is actually a diamond plate shoplight from Lowes....I am using these on my 75G tanks and they are really growing low light plants very well. Vals and java fern growing like weeds. About 40bucks for the fixture and a set of 6500K T8s. You can paint the outside black to make it look more like an aquarium fixture. I have left mine alone as they are in my fish room and I don't mind the diamond plate look :)

Shop Utilitech Silver Ceiling Fluorescent Light (Common: 4-ft; Actual: 49.5-in) at Lowes.com
Weaker but close enough to to a dual t8......which may be too much for their tank.. theoretically it could push 6000 lumens

for $40 you can get a 3300 lumen 4200k led shop light..

The LED will "fit" the low/med requirement a tad better than a dual T8
Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED (or the other more blue flavor) will be stronger than either..but a $9 PWM (or $3) dimmer put in line will fix that..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shop lights are a great idea, but I don't think they would be a good fit for this tank. This tank is a main display piece in the living room and I would very much for it to look sleek. Do you think they Beamswork 48" 6500K LED would be too bright?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Beamswork are nice use them on a 40B African tank and a FOWLR. Just supporting the shop light club as you an grow any of the lower lights under this thing in a 4ft tank, my 24*18" thick patch of jungle Val is proof of that :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Newbie question

Weaker but close enough to to a dual t8......which may be too much for their tank.. theoretically it could push 6000 lumens

for $40 you can get a 3300 lumen 4200k led shop light..

The LED will "fit" the low/med requirement a tad better than a dual T8
Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED (or the other more blue flavor) will be stronger than either..but a $9 PWM (or $3) dimmer put in line will fix that..

Reading these lighting threads with great interest as I want to set up a planted 55, but feeling like a not-so-bright child. So what is a "PWM?" And why would it be needed on the Beamswork 48"?

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
Reading these lighting threads with great interest as I want to set up a planted 55, but feeling like a not-so-bright child. So what is a "PWM?" And why would it be needed on the Beamswork 48"?
PWM stands for pulse width modulation, a type of control circuit that "chops" the power. Basically a high speed on/off switch that, by shortning the on time dims a light..

Cheap manual PWM dimmer that one could put between the power supply and the light head.
Used to dim the light.
Just need to watch max amps . Some larger Beamsworks exceed the 8A max current capacity..
Generally any over 120W (15V power supply)...though it is wiser to go below that a bit..;)

edit.. normally a "knob" dimmer. This one is a touch dimmer..

using the same principal one could easily automate the light:

Only 4A per channel so limited to 60W..but you could run 5 fixtures.. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.