The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered 3 pieces of cholla wood that was pre-soaked so it would sink on delivery (including java moss). I currently have about 100 RCS in my tank and 30-40 of them attached themselves to the cholla wood within minutes. Nice stuff for shrimp I guess.

My question is; will cholla wood affect my water chemistry like you average drift wood does in terms of PH etc?

some pictures:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Unless it was soaked in something funny to make it sink, I don't know how it could make much of a difference at all. I have quite a few shrimp tanks, and usually at least 4-5 pieces of 6" cholla wood in each tank, and I've never seen it bother my parameters. I generally get the wood shipped to me dry, I boil it for like 5-10 minutes just to make sure it is clean, and then let it cool and into the tank. It generally floats a day or so, and then sinks on its own.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I have dozens of pieces of cholla wood in tanks that I picked up from local trails. I boil for an hour and then soak over night. I've never seen a noticeable swing in parameters. Nothing like unsoaked mopani or other tannin rich drift wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts