The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Choices! Choices! Choices!!

Tank spec:
1 5.5 gallon tank (glass brand spanking NEW)
1 sponge filter may add HOB aquatech 10G Got free with kit
Black Tahitian moon sand
single bulb of Incandescent light, replacing it with CFL Daylight light 6500 K haven't picked it up yet need suggestions on this too

Wildlife
Snowballs and maybe an otto or 2

Plants!
this is where I need our help, I want some plants in this tank BUT The Shrimp comes first! I want some plants that will look nice and maybe be a nice to look at tank.

Plant choices I could buy or aquire:
Downoi
Dwarf hairgrass
crypt Balansae

Plants I have that could be options:
Crypts : tropica, Unlandata, Wendtii, mix
Cyperus Helferi (not doing good in its current tank)
Moss
Ludwiga (not sure what kind)
I have 2 teeny stems of Wisteria
Duckweed
Pennywort 1 small stem
1 stem of hornwort
Pellia

Just to put an twist on it too, I am moving in 2 1/5 weeks. This will be fun moving 9 tanks.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Pennywort, fissidens, anubias-my favorite are the petite versions, mosses. I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 13 Watt CFL daylight bulbs (sylvania micro minis), and my plants are very happy. New growth on both my moss and my Anubias!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
do you think I can grow fissidens with a single CFL? I did end up getting some Downoi to see If I could grow it in my 29g with Finnex Planted Plus. I dropped a piece of nano driftwood in there, most likely going to move some Pellia. I have ottos in my other shrimp tanks and they seem to upset the pellia enough to not make it ball.

I really wanted DHG to work, but I don't want to dose to many ferts. I might do some root tabs.

I will add the penny wort!

Just before settling in for the night, I moved a Ball of moss, few pieces of Pellia (grows like wildfire for me), another piece of Driftwood with moss growing attached. 1 dwarf pennywort stem, and 1 stem hornwort I found magically. :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could always pull it after it gets established. This tank is turning into another 'throw it in there till you have good roots' tank. I have a couple dozen baby crypts floating in a shrimp tank, just waiting till they get a little bit bigger then transplant into my large tank. I was having a devil of a time vac'ing the sand, kept knocking out the Teeny plants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.