The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently dose with Seachem products.. I have read quite a bit that they are "glorified" water..

I have the choice to go for Tropica, Evolution Aqua or ADA..

What would your choice be and why?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It's more important to check the ingredients in the liquid ferts then it necessarily is the brand you buy. I don't stick with 1 brand because I can't. I have had to learn to improvise due to lack of consistent supplies. IMO if you can find products that isolate specific macros and use a comprehensive micro blend it doesn't really matter what products you use a long as they are working for you. That being said, yes, seachem has the highest water percentage and it's expensive but I still use flourish and excel, even their iron ever so often because it does work. I'd say do some research and see which line most matches the concentration you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Seachem is very expensive if you buy their full line of products N,P,K,Iron, Flourish, etc. It does allow you to get a more custom dosage (this might be good or bad depending on whether its working for you), but.. golly you do pay for it.

ADA has a range of nutrients similar to seachem, so if you go that route you will also have a lot of bottles to buy. Tropica has an all in one and a micro. Personally I'd go with tropica to simplify the process and the expense.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I heard is that if you use the ADA range your colours will be like no other.. Anyone has experience on the Evolution Aqua fertilizer.. Locally I heard good things but never used it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I currently dose with Seachem products.. I have read quite a bit that they are "glorified" water..

Check out aquariumfertilizercheck

What would your choice be and

check out aquariumfertilizers.com. You can order your macro/micros for less than $40 before shipping and you just mix them yourself and you’re good to go. They come in 1lb bags of whatever you order and works out really well for me. Know that the micro/macro mix lacks phosphate for some reason, so you’ll need to buy mono-potassium phosphate in addition to micro/macro mix if you go that route.

·
Registered
575 Posts
What I heard is that if you use the ADA range your colours will be like no other..
Dennis Wong explains the ADA dosing philosophy here. That may help you figure out if it's something you'd like the pursue.

The important thing to know about fertilizer is that the core ingredients are pretty much the same between products. Plants can only uptake a short list of ions and the source of those ions don't matter at all. (One sort-of exception to this is iron - it's not the iron itself that matters, but you want a chelator that's going to work with your pH.) Each company is going to offer products with different amounts and ratios, but the ideal rates are going to vary between tanks so it's impossible to make a single product (or product line) that's going to be the absolute best across the board.

What you end up with is many products that are generally fine and may be great if well matched to the particular set up. None are going to be more cost effective than mixing dry salts yourself, but you are paying for someone else do to the work for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dennis Wong explains the ADA dosing philosophy here. That may help you figure out if it's something you'd like the pursue.

The important thing to know about fertilizer is that the core ingredients are pretty much the same between products. Plants can only uptake a short list of ions and the source of those ions don't matter at all. (One sort-of exception to this is iron - it's not the iron itself that matters, but you want a chelator that's going to work with your pH.) Each company is going to offer products with different amounts and ratios, but the ideal rates are going to vary between tanks so it's impossible to make a single product (or product line) that's going to be the absolute best across the board.

What you end up with is many products that are generally fine and may be great if well matched to the particular set up. None are going to be more cost effective than mixing dry salts yourself, but you are paying for someone else do to the work for you.
Hey! Who is the expert in the matter. Can someone give a personal consultation? write to direct!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey! Who is the expert in the matter. Can someone give a personal consultation? write to direct!
Dennis wong all the way. If you check out his website, he is very thorough in explanation the science behind fertilizers, co2, lighting. It's very informative and if you got the bug its a good direction to invest your time into. YOu will learn a lot from dennis wong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.