The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Current FTS: 6/9/2016

I never stick with these journals, but I'll try this time.
I recently re-scaped my 55 gallon, so here is the before:

The previous scape looked nice but it gave me some issues. Namely, I underestimated how big the two species of bolbitis would get. Seriously, bolbitis is a background plant. It took a little while, but it grows huge. Also, hydrocotyle 'japan' is a weed, and will grow over everything if you let it. My new scape is more organized and to me, has more depth and potential. I had a ton of plants and a ton of hardscape to start with, so rescaping was not a problem.
Here's everything that I've got:

Equipment:
55 gallon (48x13x21) Tank
Eheim 2217
48" BML 6500K xB Nature Series LED
ADA Aquasoil
2x Lily Pipes
Eheim Skim350

CO2:
10lb tank
Concoa 212 Regulator
Swagelok SS assembly
SS Ideal Needle valve
18" Reactor, External Eheim pump

Flora:
Bolbitis heudelotii
Bolbitis 'Mini' (Which is neither mini nor bolbitis)
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. 'Green'
Christmas moss
Mini pellia
Trident java fern
Needle java fern
Blyxa japonica
Staurogyne repens
Anubias nana
Anubias nana "Petite"
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Fissidens fontanus
Bucephalandra "brownie blue"
Bucephalandra "mini velvet"

Fauna:
20x Rummynose Tetras
10x Neon Tetras
?? Assassin Snails
???? Ramshorn Snails
7 Otocinclus
10ish Amano Shrimp

And here's more shots from the tank:

Bump: Front Profile:

Side Profile:

Phone shot (Bad quality) of the CO2 system:

And just for fun, my scaped Fluval Chi, which is a shrimp only tank now.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I'm telling you, this is a work of art. People complain about 55 gallon tanks being so hard to aquascape. And then you turn around and see one like this! Just goes to show you what you can do if you have skill.

Beautiful tank. One of the best 55 setups I've ever seen. Loving the stocking choices too. Neons and Rummies look great together.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. :)
Everyone always says 55 gallons are bad for scaping.. but I think you can give the illusion that it is deeper than it really is by playing with height. And it's got height in spades.

Artists shouldn't blame their paintbrushes for bad artwork, and I kinda feel it's the same thing here.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So another week goes by, and another photoshoot.
Let's compare growth again.

Week 0:

Week 1:

Week 2 (latest):

As you can see, things are starting to fill out. :grin2: The mini pellia is really getting thick, as is the moss. The bucephalandra has also taken off, and should fill the spot it's in soon. The staurogyne repens is growing they way it typically grows. it grows the root system first, then takes off across the substrate.

I feel like there is a lack of color in here. I'm thinking about getting some rotala macrandra 'mini type 4' and replacing the regular rotala rotundifolia. OR maybe I'll place some on either side. Decisions, decisions. :wink2:

Anyway, here's some pics of the procedure.

Spray bottle to keep the plants moist..

And, it's filled again. Thanks for reading!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.