The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a planted tank where i have some rummynoses , tetra's , Chocolate Lyretail , Clownloaches , black mollies and cardinal tetras

I had also put in around 10 shrimps ... they all seem to have disppeared , i have searched and searched in vain

I saw the lyre tail with a shrimp in its mouth ... is it a bad idea to have them together ....

I am keep to have the cherries ..

Please help .. i will post few photgraphs soon

Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well. If you saw a lyretail with a shrimp in its mouth, I hope it's not a hard deduction for you to make that the fish are eating the shrimp.

For one, apparently, if you still want to keep shrimp, either remove the lyretail or give the shrimps a separate tank.
However, you might want to watch the other fish to see if they dine on the shrimps, if you decide to remove just the lyretails.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's also possible the shrimp died before the lyretail got it. Have your shrimp been dying in this tank?

What are the results for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests?

·
Registered
430 Posts
My observations on killies and dwarf shrimp: If from the time they are fry the killies are raised with shrimp in the tank they will most likely ignore them as adults. If shrimp are placed in with killies that have never experienced them, the shrimp will quickly become the fish's dinner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the information , looks like i will need to get another shrimp tank ....after a while

Thanks again .. will post some pics of the tank for your feedback

·
Registered
600 Posts
My observations on killies and dwarf shrimp: If from the time they are fry the killies are raised with shrimp in the tank they will most likely ignore them as adults. If shrimp are placed in with killies that have never experienced them, the shrimp will quickly become the fish's dinner.

I have experience with the second notion - baaaad idea to put cherry shrimp in a tank with a killie, my juvenile female killie ate them like she was a starving man who found a 9 course meal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.