The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share an image of my chocolate gourami pair that spawned and now female is carrying eggs in mouth. From what I read- she not eat for 2+ weeks- has been a week since I have seen her feeding. Also have some cool footage of the fish showing mating behavior. Oddly enough I have hard water and ph 8 which is not what is recommended for these fish but I have kept them for over a year now.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually kept them under such conditions for over a year and half. They are doing quite well in a heavily planted tank. pH is 8, nitrate typically 5-10, phosphate at 0.5, gH was high but I haven't measured it recently and flow is also high because I have a lot of rocks - all supposedly less than ideal conditions and yet they have done well. The tank has CO2 and is fertilized using liquid ferts
The female seems to have released the fry but in this tank it will be near impossible to find any that have survived. Next time I may have to consider isolating them in a separate tank.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I kept 5 of those in a 20 gallon and they died off one by one, even with fairly soft peat filtered water and a neutral PH.

Odd that you inject CO2 but PH is still 8. Perhaps the CO2 is key to them surviving?

Were these tank raised fish when you bought them?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kept 5 of those in a 20 gallon and they died off one by one, even with fairly soft peat filtered water and a neutral PH.

Odd that you inject CO2 but PH is still 8. Perhaps the CO2 is key to them surviving?

Were these tank raised fish when you bought them?
My Co2 levels are low. I usually don't do more than 2 bps but once the tank has settled I often reduce CO2 even further to slow growth. So I'm not sure CO2 is key here. These were wild caught fish from wetspot. They take flake food just fine although I add some brine shrimp. No live food.

The male from the pair does harass the third chocolate gourami quite a bit but they tank has a lot of wood and rock so there are plenty of hiding places. They seem very comfortable and are constantly exploring - maybe that is key here. I'm attaching a tank pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
I forgot an important parameter...what's the temperature?
The temp is 78F

Congrats anfield, that's great! Hope you continue to have success with them. Out of curiosity, how big is the tank and are the gouramis the only inhabitants?
The tank is 36x18x18 so about 50 gallons. The gouramis as in there with some ricefish, red pencil fish and shrimp. I can occasionally see the gouramis taunting the shrimp but all is peaceful otherwise

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.