The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way to tell if your tap water has chloramines in it??

i ask this cause i have MTS as i have 9 fish tanks and might be in the process of getting one more as a grow out tank for my fry.

with haveing all these tanks water changes are never ending and its getting expensive to but declohrinator.

so i was wondering if there was a away to tell or to find out 100% that my tap water does not contain chloramine. I have checked the report for my city's water (saws.org) but don't really understand what i'm looking at or for.

thanks in advance for any help in this.

·
Registered
738 Posts
This: http://www.saws.org/our_water/ResourceProtComp/Groundwater_Protection/Water_Quality/FAQs.shtml
implies chlorine, not chloramine is used for your system. However, I'd give them a call first to make sure. If so, then a thiosulfate-based treatment (cheaper) will work. If it is chloramine, then Prime is your best (most concentrated, cheaper cost-per-dose) option for a commercial product. Somewhere on this site there is also information about a solid product similar to Prime which would be cheaper yet.

Kevin

·
Registered
313 Posts
Unscientific, and completely subjective: Chloramined water might have a pool waterish taste, where chlorinated water might have a noticeable bleach odor from an aerated faucet.
I can tell when my town does the switch for a burn out.
Call and ask :)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Simple solution, change dechlorinators. A 5 lb tub of Cloram-x will cost you about 35 bucks. It will last you forever.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Even if your treatment plant does not use chloramines on a regular basis, it's pretty common for them to switch up their regimens from time to time to flush out their systems. Or a new protocol could be adopted without notice to customers.

IMO it's always best to use a product that removes both chlorine and chloramines, to be on the safe side.

My personal favorite ATM is Prime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts