The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tap water comes laden with a hefty dose of 3ppm chloramine. I use de-chlorinator, so the end product is ammonium, right? I have terrible staghorn algae no matter what I do in my tanks, and I have read it is caused by ammonia. Is ammonium related to algae in any way? Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
My tap water comes laden with a hefty dose of 3ppm chloramine. I use de-chlorinator, so the end product is ammonium, right? I have terrible staghorn algae no matter what I do in my tanks, and I have read it is caused by ammonia. Is ammonium related to algae in any way? Thanks!
Depends on your dechlorinator. Some use sodium thiosulfate which does leave ammonia in the tank. Others use sodium hydroxymethanesulfonate which will bond to the ammonia in the tank rendering it safe for fish. Just make sure you look for one that both neutralizes chloramines and bonds to ammonia. Some that I know of are Seachem Prime, Fritz Complete, Amquel, and Imagitarium (Petco's brand) Ammonia Remover.

·
Registered
207 Posts
3 ppm? Just remember that the normal dose for dechlorinator only handles 1 ppm. So you would have to maybe increase the amount.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3 ppm? Just remember that the normal dose for dechlorinator only handles 1 ppm. So you would have to maybe increase the amount.
Hey, I've just seen your answer here. thanks! Do you have any source on the fact that a seachem prime dose will only handle 1ppm chloramine? I have a really hard time finding anything about this online

1 - 4 of 4 Posts