The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one today without doing any research beforehand. After reading through some reviews, some people say this fish is aggressive after awhile and some people say theirs is completely fine. What do i do? take it out or leave it..? Mine is the gold or yellow one. So far he/she seem to be pretty chill. It's about 3 inches right now. Doesn't bother anyone. Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had 2 of these CAE's or so called golden algae eaters in my community planted tanks and they did absolutely fine . They did not mess with any other fish and they are really good for a clean up crew , very hard working !!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had a gold algae eater in my 55 gallon tank, he never bothered anyone but he did play with my cory cats, I had 3 cory cats and the one algae eater that were all fast swimmers so two of the cories paired off and the third cory just played with the algae eater. Unfortunately he died when my tank crashed after changing my substrate to plant my tank.

I have another gold algae eater in my 10 gallon planted work tank, he is pretty shy, stays in the back corner under my crypt undulata most of the time, comes out in the dark or when people aren't moving around but as soon as he sees someone come close to the tank he runs and hides. He has to be getting close to 4" now and does not bother anything.

Bought another golden algae eater that I put in my 40B at home, its only about 2" now (was only about an inch when I bought it) and he doesn't bother anything... my tanks have guppies, mollies, corys, neon tetras, raspboras... so I'm 3/3 on nonaggressive golden algae eaters...

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
They ain't from China and are poor algae eater's once they learn fish food,and slime coat of other fishes is easier to come by.
Once saw a video of this fish attached to side of large Angelfish, and the scar's the Angelfish was sporting from previous encounter's with this fish was enough for me.
Can think of much more interesting fishes for lower region's of the aquarium.
My two cent's.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
With the angel I would be a bit worried. I also have 2 of them and had them for almost 14 years. They are both over 6 inches and do not bother their tank mates. But one of them had been with a goldfish before and did go after him. I do think they got a bad rep they don't deserve. They need a large tank (30 gal or more) and should not be housed with slow moving, large bodied fish then they will be just fine. And mine still eat algae but also eat fish food. A 6 inch fish can't live on just a little green stuff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love how everyone keeps saying that space must be key when I have a 4" long gold algae eater in a 10 gallon tank that until 2 days ago probably had 50 fish in it (until I removed about 30 guppy fry) and mine shows absolutely zero signs of aggression. It is by far the largest fish in the tank and faster swimming than any other fish in the tank, yet it doesn't harm anything... how would you explain this since you are all such experts on gold algae eaters?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I love how everyone keeps saying that space must be key when I have a 4" long gold algae eater in a 10 gallon tank that until 2 days ago probably had 50 fish in it (until I removed about 30 guppy fry) and mine shows absolutely zero signs of aggression. It is by far the largest fish in the tank and faster swimming than any other fish in the tank, yet it doesn't harm anything... how would you explain this since you are all such experts on gold algae eaters?

Your fish is only half grown, time will tell.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a golden CAE for a while. Cool fish, but he was a problem. I had him in my 55 gal and he harassed my cories and bullied my pictus catfish. I finally had to move him to a 29 gal that didn't have any bottom dwellers. On a side note catching one of these in a planted tank is not for the faint of heart, lots of destruction and profanity. The only other inhabitants of his new home were a school of black neons which he did not bother at all, he settled down after the move. Unfortunately I gassed him and a couple of my neons whilst tweaking my CO2 in the tank. IMO it is not a good idea to keep these fish with other bottom dwellers. I have no experience with one of these in a tank with slow moving large bodied fish, but mine did not bother any of the tetras or barbs he lived with during the year and a half I had him.

·
Registered
881 Posts
:iamwithst
They are great fish. Maybe you can add another one in there. Apparently one day he might not have the space to bother other fish in a ten gallon. Space is always the key to territorial aggression and bullying. Though some cases are not in connection like for exp. If you mix up aggressive fish with peaceful smaller fish then you are asking for it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a massive CAE in my 40 gallon long, and he is very peaceful. And huge too. Had him for two years this February, and he is about 7.5" long now. He is a true CAE, just standard coloration. He is the best algae eater, especially with plants. He keeps the leaves on the Anubias absolutely spotless, eats the BBA, and doesn't both any of the fish. Sometimes the Rainbow Shark and him will chase each other around, but otherwise harmless. He did eat a dead neon that died, when 8 of them died within 3 days, but otherwise GREAT fish. He has a lot of character too, and it always comes up to the glass if you go over to watch.

He's kept with 4 white skirt tetras, 3 Danios, 4 neons, 2 Bamboo shrimp, an Amano, and a Rainbow Shark. Oh, and a Dwarf Blue Crayfish as well thats about the size of a penny right now. We had a parrot cichlid in the tank and a comet in the tank at one point too, and he didn't have any issues. I think, from what I can tell, he loves having a little rock cave he can call his territory. Sometimes if a fish, well if the rainbow shark, gets too close he might come out, but the Amano and him normally sit right next to each other in there nibbling away at algae, and he is NO problem. Remember 7.5" long fish+shrimp and a dwarf crayfish, with no problem.

I don't see why there's such a bad rap on these guys, everyone says they are evil when they get bigger, but mine is massive and does nothing but keep my plants happy, fight off the BBA, and mostly acts like a dog. I think maybe if there was an angel or two in the tank, he might be a problem, but other then eating a dead fish, he's absolutely peaceful as can be. The Rainbow shark and the CAE will chase each other around, but most of the time when I go over and look they are hanging out in the same cave next to each other, and I think this is mostly the case of two territorial fish in the same tank.

If mine died, I wouldn't hesistate to get another one.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Simple: sharing a 10g with a fancy gold fish and a common pleco is a natural behaviour altering experience. Just a bind guess, of course. Adding an Oscar or two will complete his rehabilitation.

v3

·
Registered
353 Posts
i had a CAE for a while in my 20L and he was fine for quite a while until i got a new German Blue Ram. He harassed him for a little and then i pulled the CAE and gave him to my dad.

The CAE is now best friends with my dad's angelicus loach. They won't leave each other's side haha.

I think it's pretty hit or miss with these fish, dependent on personality.

·
Registered
320 Posts
:iamwithst
They are great fish. Maybe you can add another one in there. Apparently one day he might not have the space to bother other fish in a ten gallon. Space is always the key to territorial aggression and bullying. Though some cases are not in connection like for exp. If you mix up aggressive fish with peaceful smaller fish then you are asking for it.
I'm sure some of them are aggressive, but its just like any other fish, each fish has its own personality. Personally I think its probably more of an issue of what kind of fish you put in with it than anything, but I'd completely disagree with your note about aggressive with peaceful smaller fish - at least if you're considering the gold algae eater to be aggressive in that case... they are fine in my tanks, but they are probably considered the most aggressive (and largest fish) in any of my tanks, everything else is smaller than them and more peaceful. Smaller fish = less tastey to try and take a bite out of? (at least for sucker fish, obviously other aggressive fish will eat smaller fish)...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.