The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I was told these things will stop eating algae and start eating fish as they get older.. Is this true?

How safe is my 75 gallon with one of these suckers (pun intended) in it?

I plan on keeping neons and other tetras.

EDITED: Chinese Algae Eater, not an SAE..

·
Registered
256 Posts
So.. I was told these things will stop eating algae and start eating fish as they get older.. Is this true?

How safe is my 75 gallon with one of these suckers (pun intended) in it?

I plan on keeping neons and other tetras.
I believe you are thinking of Chinese algae eaters, that stop eating algae and get territorial as they mature. A true siamese algae eater is a life-long peaceful hard worker AFAIK.

·
Registered
430 Posts
CAEs have developed a "reputation" which is most often negative. Perhaps your new tank would be better complimented with a few Ancistrus species. These algae eating relatives of the common plecos stay much smaller than CAEs and are not aggressive to other fish. Plus, they are even from the same habitats as the S.A. tetras you are planning to get. Just give them some shelter during the day and they will rid your glass and rocks/driftwood of algae at night.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CAEs have developed a "reputation" which is most often negative. Perhaps your new tank would be better complimented with a few Ancistrus species. These algae eating relatives of the common plecos stay much smaller than CAEs and are not aggressive to other fish. Plus, they are even from the same habitats as the S.A. tetras you are planning to get. Just give them some shelter during the day and they will rid your glass and rocks/driftwood of algae at night.
Problem is.. I already have a CAE... And he's most likely going to be very difficult to catch. IT was a brain fart that I got him, I thought i was getting a SAE

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
CAEs can be somewhat aggressive and go for the slime coat on other tank denizens. Don't know if they ever really do much with the algae. SAEs get big and lazy and prefer whatever you're feeding the tank with, so are not much use for algae eating IME. Ancistrus species were tireless, but ate holes in some of my leaves, so had drawbacks as well. The best choice I have found to date is Chaetostoma spp. (so-called rubber-nose, rubber-lipped or whatever plecos). I'd like to try out Garra spp. sometime.

My best suggestion to you is take the fish back to the LFS. Most at least accept donations, even if you don't get anything for him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had one of thease guys in the past. He ate algae for 2 months, then started rasping on the beta and the pleco. I think that the pleco liked it, but the beta hated it. This fish only likes to rasp on large, slow fat bodied fish. Smaller faster fish lite tetras should be ok.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I had two for about 5 years. First I kept them in a 75 with goldfish and plecos. With the plecos I didn't know if they ate algae or not. After 3 years or so I moved one to a 30 gallon tank with angelfish. He kept the tank spotless until he passed away during a 3 day power outage. No aggression from either (although they argued with each other in an entertaining fashion).

People often find they are acceptable community fish if they have a nice cave and plenty to eat. The bonus of providing a cave is that you can grab the whole cave if you need to remove the fish.

I would keep the fish until he is a problem. You may end up with a good one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a CAE that has been through thick and thin...put through the ringer by me for over 2 years...and is still a pussycat and sucks algae off of everything just like new (when he thinks I am not near).

However, he won't touch BBA...only green spot algae.

I agree that they like a good sized cave to hide in, and he certainly loves boiled vegetables and sinking discs as a treat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.