The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:eek: I saw on a British plant forum people use Rabbit pooh as fertilizer. They say it works wonders and beats any other type of manufactured root fertilizer. I don't have any rabbits but I figure my Chinchilla's pooh would be the same thing since their diet is the same. Since my plants in my sandy bottom tank don;t grow with out root tablets I thing I might trey it out. Any yahs or nahs?

Update: Well i decided to give it ago and I placed 5 pieces of oven baked chinchilla pooh into some sand and water. I then froze it and placed it under a plant. The plant i was using was pretty much dead and covered in algae but it did have white roots still. After two days I noticed green sprouts growing from the dead algae infested plant. today i noticed the new growth is starting to turn red. It is worth noting my nitrAte levels and other levels remained good.

here is a picture you can clearly see the new growth and the dead spots.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I've heard of people using rabbit poo + water in a sunny window to grow infusoria for feeding fry. I don't think I'd put any manner of fecal waste directly into my tank on purpose though. I'd be afraid that any plants I uproot would stink and that it'd be very messy.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It does seem gross, but it's not like Box isn't coming into contact with the poop with cage cleanings anyway. He's gonna catch anything communicable anyway. :)

Now, when you use bunnypoop as roottabs, is it aged first?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've heard of people using rabbit poo + water in a sunny window to grow infusoria for feeding fry. I don't think I'd put any manner of fecal waste directly into my tank on purpose though. I'd be afraid that any plants I uproot would stink and that it'd be very messy.
That's all I could see it be useful for. Chinchilla (and rabbit) poo are both practically pure fiber, so I can't see how plants could get many nutrients from it. I have a Chinchilla too.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have heard of people putting rabbit pellets in a cheese cloth and making tea to water house plants with great results. I am not sure that would translate directly to aquaria though. ONe of the things about rabbit poo is that you don;t have to compost it first like you would cow manure. You could squeeze right out of them onto your plants. I have a pet rabbit. Anybody wants a free sample of rabbit dookie to play with let me know. All you gotta do is ask...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Clearly someone needs to do a test on this. What if this turns out to be the holy grail of aquatic plant ferts? Dwarf lops on aquabid anyone?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Clearly someone needs to do a test on this. What if this turns out to be the holy grail of aquatic plant ferts?
Could be.:icon_mrgr And we can save millions of cash for doing the alternative to root tabs. The only problem is most companies will loss their income for making root tabs.:icon_mrgr Your loss, our gain indeed.:icon_mrgr
Dwarf lops on aquabid anyone?
If only I have lops and chinchillas but I am prone to asthma.:icon_neut

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha. Well. I will test it out in my tank with ONE plant and just one Pellet. If I see anything that would make it worth setting up an actually experiment I may do just that.

E. Coli.. Mmm... Well i would think As long as i wash My hands.

why reinvent the wheel? Stick with what works for you. :)
Well what i am currently doing does not work thus that want for change haha.

Now, when you use bunnypoop as roottabs, is it aged first?
I believe with bunny poop they cook it dry or sun bake it first. The chinchillas pooh dries pretty quick I suppose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
remind me what that stuff is that comes out of a horses bottom, and why i put it in my garden every year

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing how the poo will effect the water chemistry and health on the other creatures in the tank.

If it works, sweet!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
bottom line is...no matter how well it works, I will never allow e coli and/or cryptococcus in my water column...not to mention Klebsiella spp and enterococcus spp....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That would probably kill some of those yuckies. Also, what makes it worse than fish poop?
Probably and some are the key words there.

Each animal's poo is different than anothers. The rabbit poo can introduce diseases not normally found in fish and the other way around.

Might as well drop a whole cow pie in there if it's completely safe.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
The day I bake poo in my oven, is the day I hang this up~

1 - 20 of 26 Posts