The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tank mates are you keeping with your Chili Rasbora?

I currently have them with some CPD's but that's it, and I'm looking for a more flashy, centerpiece style of fish.

Apisto's? Would they eat the Chili Rasbora's?
Dwarf gouramis? Are they all plagued with the virus that kills them?

I'm already planning on adding some Pseudomugil rainbows.

My tank is cycled, has soft acidic water, large weekly water changes (NO3 is kept low, never above 20ppm).

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If it's a nano maybe sparkling gourami? Even then they might harass the chilis. Pygmy cory could work but they're not really centerpiece fish. Most any cichlid is likely to cause problems, including dwarf.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a nano tank.

Chili rasbora numbers will be 75-100 likely.
25-50 celestial pearl danios.
20-25 Pseudomugil rainbows.

I'm leaving towards a few honey gourami and possibly a female powder blue gourami.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Those will all be slaughterd by the gourami. You could try some kind of herbivore mid water fish?

You could try fw pipefish. They get big enough to not be just a nano fish but small enough mouth to not kill stuff I would buff the alkalinity cos psudomugil and the fw pipe are costal/brackish sometime

·
Registered
239 Posts
The one I had killed mollies and other gouramis

I wouldn’t take a risk with a fish which has a mouth big enough to kill them. The pipes are not that hard besides the tiny food. You could try gobies too, 20x flow is good for them and they have insane spawning colors. I would add a few river rocks though

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've never kept honey or powder gourami as when I was last stocking for myself all the ones in my area had that nasty back deformity. If you can get a female powder blue I'd honestly consider doing a m/f pair- they are hard to come by. As long as you're planted thick enough your chilis should be okay, for the most part- just don't be surprised over nipped fins and the potential stress loss here and there. I'd be interested in seeing how this set up would work out- theoretically it sounds beautiful!!

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plant mass is fairly heavy. 45 gallon long tank, 48" x 12" x 18" (see below)

I think I'll start with the honey gourami's, 3 or 4, and look for a shy powder blue gourami later on. If the powder blue starts to become aggressive, I'll remove it.

I forgot that it's tough to find female dwarf gouramis. I had a nice powder blue one in the past and it left all my nano fish alone and didn't really bother with the shrimp.

I know about the virus on the dwarfs gourami's, which is why I'm hesitant on bothering with them at all. The last 2 I had withered away to nothing basically overnight with no other signs / symptoms.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Yea, your chilis should be fine in there, just might make them timid if you have an aggressive gourami but you have plenty of hiding spaces. You could go with a larger group of sparkling gourami, they'd probably be the least likely to give you issues.

It is ridiculously hard to find female dwarf gourami simply because the suppliers try to keep them all. It might have something to do with the hormones that are used to induce spawning that causes a lack of females, but whatever the reason they are pretty highly prized commodities in breeding circles. Like I said- if you can get your hands on one it might very well be worth it to try to spawn them, could be a cool experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Honey gouramis are probably fine, they're very chill (at least to other fish, they terrorize each other during feeding). I wouldnt mix them with the dwarf powder blue gourami though

You could go with a larger group of sparkling gourami, they'd probably be the least likely to give you issues.
He wants flashy centerpiece fish though and sparkling gourami are very not centerpiece. They're so timid, I almost never see mine now that all the plants have filled out.

German blue rams would look awesome in this colorful tank. Unfortunate that the water parameters for them are warmer than I'd like for planted tanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yea, your chilis should be fine in there, just might make them timid if you have an aggressive gourami but you have plenty of hiding spaces. You could go with a larger group of sparkling gourami, they'd probably be the least likely to give you issues.

It is ridiculously hard to find female dwarf gourami simply because the suppliers try to keep them all. It might have something to do with the hormones that are used to induce spawning that causes a lack of females, but whatever the reason they are pretty highly prized commodities in breeding circles. Like I said- if you can get your hands on one it might very well be worth it to try to spawn them, could be a cool experience.
The females are very hard to find, took me over a month to find some. As as it turns out my males are jerk faces and don't get a long with them or anyone else. The two females I have are awesome and get along with everything. They also eat duckweed! Now I just need to find a home for 2 cranky males... they are currently taking up my quarantine tank and guppy tank

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The females are very hard to find, took me over a month to find some. As as it turns out my males are jerk faces and don't get a long with them or anyone else. The two females I have are awesome and get along with everything. They also eat duckweed! Now I just need to find a home for 2 cranky males... they are currently taking up my quarantine tank and guppy tank
Definitely good to know about the difference in sexes!! Good luck with rehoming!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
An alternative suggestion is a suckermouth catfish. With gourami there's always a chance you get a really ornery one. Fancy variations of the Bristlenose, e.g. long fin super red, might look nice in the tank.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Honey gourami's are very chill, but aren't very big so I don't know if I'd consider them a centerpiece. Apistogramma cacatuoides that I've kept are voracious hunters and hunt down cherry shrimp that are bigger than a chili rasbora, so I wouldn't risk it. Have you considered pearl gourami's? I've heard their demeanor is a bit more peaceful than powder blue gouramis.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've considered Pearl Gourami's however they can get quite large and it might be easier for them to snack on the Chili rasboras that a Dwarf. But I do agree, their personalities are calmer than a male dwarf.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.