The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These fish were sold to me as chili rasboras and I think that they might be a different species (not Boraras brigittae). Based on other info ive seen on this forum and around the web, I think I was sold either exclimation point rasboras or pheonix rasboras but I am not totally sure. They are also still growing and have become more colorful since I got them about two weeks ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also think its possible I have a mix of different species.
Quite possible. Some look as if they have a solid stripe transversing the length of their body like Boraras brigittae. Some have that exclamation “point” to go along with it like Boraras uropthalmoides. Others look as if they have a disconnected black mark on their belly like Boraras merah. I guess you’ll find out for certain which ones they are as they age and you see how they color up.

I found this online Which boraras do you really have?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I worried about this too with my chilis at first. The black markings didn't quite look right to my eye, which I think is what you're seeing, but once my fish colored up there was no question at all - they are very red. And wouldn't you know it, the black markings all look like classic chili rasbora now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it.

Ill wait till they mature a bit more to see if they color up. I have read that the crossbred offspring of these different species are infertile and I would like to start a breeding colony.

If I can confirm that they’re not boraras brigittae then I will probably return them to Breeder I got them from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These fish were sold to me as chili rasboras and I think that they might be a different species (not Boraras brigittae). Based on other info ive seen on this forum and around the web, I think I was sold either exclimation point rasboras or pheonix rasboras but I am not totally sure. They are also still growing and have become more colorful since I got them about two weeks ago.

View attachment 1026900 View attachment 1026901 View attachment 1026902 View attachment 1026903
They actually look beautiful. Go to aquaticarts.com they are very well knowledgeable and have great quality. Also if something is worse off (crayfish missing a claw or dull coloration), they have a separate price for it. I've bought my chilies there and my black devil spike snails and my electric blue crayfish and my marbled crayfish and some plants. Great foods there also.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There may be a mix of them but IMO the majority are Pheonix Rasbora (Boraras merha) not Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae). Chilis have a definite single stripe from front to back while these look like they have a distinct front oblong spot and another black spot on the back. They are very difficult to distinguish from far away but pretty easy when close up. Also, my chilis are super red while one phoenix that I have is more washed out. The chili rasbora also have very distinct black markings on the front side of the dorsal and pelvic fins where the pheonix do not have either.

Fin Organism Terrestrial plant Fish Marine biology

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
They do look like they might be a mix.... but maybe just because they're young still?

By the way what foods do you find them enjoying the most, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just starting with chilis (I hope mine are chilis, hahah, they're very small still so hard to tell) and not entirely sure what to feed them. I've been crushing up some micro pellets for them and they seem to like the pleco's spirulina wafer too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts