The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. long time reader, first time poster.
I have a little 7.5 gallon nano tank that is planted with rotala, monte carlo, anubias petite. Ive only had cherry shrimp and around 7 chili rasbora for months until i discovered celestial pearl danios. I really love the look of these fish but after researching on this forum, i found out that CPD’s are very timid fish, so i was hesitant to add them.
Ive finally added them BUT they are not timid at all! They are active swimmers always out and about and i enjoy watching them, however, my chili rasboras have been hiding in the stem plants for 2 weeks now, only coming out during feeding time. I miss seeing the school of chili’s swimming around and they were there before the CPD’s so it is quite unusual that they are the ones in hiding.
Any advice on how to bring them out or make them less stressed? Thanks

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Maybe consider adding more stem plants so the chili rasboras feel more secure? It may be that bullying is going on in the meantime...

·
Registered
194 Posts
More plants on the surface of the water either stems that you let grow out or floaters and low water flow the Chili’s can’t keep up with the CPD.
I have Four chili’s in a 12 gallon tank with 7 green neons and it took awhile but the chilies are always out and about. It might take some time for them to get comfortable with the tank mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Maybe they just need time. The CPD’s keep to them selves so no bullying but the chili’s are mostly pale except for the stronger male ones who actually still swim around once in a while

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a group of chili rasbora that cowered sharing a tank with 4 male endless that completely ignored them. The two groups lived together for more than a month and it never improved, but when I moved the rasbora to their own tank they immediately became outgoing and colored up. Both tanks had lots of plant cover, though the first had much higher flow. But if you haven't changed the flow from before that's probably not the problem.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You're bordering on overstocking with that many fish in a 7.5 gallon. That also maybe why your Chilis are hiding. CPD are stockier than your typical White Cloud minnow and more vigorous swimmers like most Danions.

Trying to keeping the CPD in their own well planted 10 gallon. You didn't mention how many CPD you bought, but like I was saying, with less crowding the more the little fish will come out to play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts