The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

I have 10g heavily planted walstad tank, where I keep neocaridina and chili rasbora. I have 8 chili's and they look good, really bright colors.

The problem is that one of the largest males has taken 3/4 of the tank as his territory and keeps driving all other fish away to one corner and to the back wall of the tank. He does this all the time, not just during feeding...

Should I just let them sort it out or think of a another solution? Bigger tank? Removing the male is not an option since I don't have another tank yet.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Not sure removing the male would fix much probably another "alpha" would take over? Seems like my chilis act more like tetras than rasboras sometimes... It's also possible he is displaying breeding behavior

I have over a dozen in a 20 long. There's a few bigger ones that chase the others, but there's no fin nipping. Just a scoot outta my spot thing. They tend to keep in small groups of 4 or 5. I moved them to a 20, just for them because they were too shy with all the other schooling fish in the 55.

Reactions: Garuda2520

·
Registered
171 Posts
You could put him in a mesh breeder/fry box that hangs inside the tank. If he's really beating up the others and you just want something quick. There is also the sick fish/isolation clear plastic boxes which are slightly nicer looking, but the water circulation through those is not as good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure removing the male would fix much probably another "alpha" would take over? Seems like my chilis act more like tetras than rasboras sometimes... It's also possible he is displaying breeding behavior

I have over a dozen in a 20 long. There's a few bigger ones that chase the others, but there's no fin nipping. Just a scoot outta my spot thing. They tend to keep in small groups of 4 or 5. I moved them to a 20, just for them because they were too shy with all the other schooling fish in the 55.
There is no biting or "fighting" the alpha just drives others away and rest of the group seems to stick in the shadows. I rarely see them anymore 😁

This is a resent change in behavior, so could be related to mating, bit with that attitude he's not gonna get lucky.

I think I will let things run their natural course and see what happens. I wasn't expecting mating behavior yet, since those guys supposed to be young. Just got them little over two months ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.