The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my Chihiros WRGB2 90 for my 200L Tank

I am looking to bring out the reds and greens as much as possible. Is there like a template I can copy or something? Or will it have to be modifying it myself manually seeing which is the best outcome? Currently my lights are on for 6 hours and I add 30 mins every month till it reaches a total of 8hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use 70 red 50 green 75 blue at the moment... this seems to me to be the best visually appealing. I find it harder than my fluval plant LED to get a natural colour that isn't punchy.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I use 70 red 50 green 75 blue at the moment... this seems to me to be the best visually appealing. I find it harder than my fluval plant LED to get a natural colour that isn't punchy.
No whites (so missing broad green/yellow and some red).
ALL RGB lights "suffer" from this.
Yiou can get fairly good CRI out of it but it will still be "punchy"

Reactions: ZChalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just ordered my Chihiros WRGB2 90 for my 200L Tank

I am looking to bring out the reds and greens as much as possible. Is there like a template I can copy or something? Or will it have to be modifying it myself manually seeing which is the best outcome? Currently my lights are on for 6 hours and I add 30 mins every month till it reaches a total of 8hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
What’s your tank dimension? The WRGB is good for about max 45 cm of height to the substrate. Over that you would need to go with Vivid. But it also depends on what type of plants you want to grow.

The WRGB2 also has an issue in lighting the corners of your tank extends beyond the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its 100x45x45 with substrate its like 40.. with vivid it will be too expensive as I will need to get two.. so will try my luck with the 90 wrgb2.. do ylu have the same issue?

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's the smallest version (30cm). I wanted to check it out before committing to a larger version for my proposed new setup. I didn't know about the limitations of RGB lighting in my research about it looking less natural.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
It's the smallest version (30cm). I wanted to check it out before committing to a larger version for my proposed new setup. I didn't know about the limitations of RGB lighting in my research about it looking less natural.
For really geeeky sciency types..

You may find this interesting.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Thanks do you have a photo of your tank with lights on ?
See post 206..Gives you an idea of natural vs err enhanced.

Easiest way to show it regardless of human visual foibles .

You can't fill in color wavelengths that don' t exist.
It is easier to design a " vivid" light than a natural one .
And, unsurprisingly natural is not really the crowds (any crowd) favorite .

·
Registered
760 Posts
Their setting includes ramp-up/ramp-down time - i have my lights on for 9 hours with 1.5 hour ramp. the 1.5 is excessive - .5 is ample but it was to extend visibility at the end of the day so light was still on during feeding.

So if your tank lights are 8 hours - would that include the ramp up/down or its over and above?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.