The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Disappointing. I guess until other alternative are found, that commander will sit in its box. I'll just use digital timer to on and off the light.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Hanuman @frrok Thanks you guys for reporting in on the issues so that the rest of us can reconsider. @frrok it sounds like now you use the commander4 to turn off and on the light as well? Assuming you do not have a power loss, is it at least able to fully run its power on, "ramp up/down", and power off cycle --- even if not connected to the app?
No. If it’s not connected to the app the light will not turn on. It’s as if there is a glitch preventing the software in the commander4 to stay “configured”. I hope that makes sense. If I didn’t leave my old iPhone home in range of the commander4 it won’t work.
Disappointing. I guess until other alternative are found, that commander will sit in its box. I'll just use digital timer to on and off the light.
In the case you have commander 4:
If no power loss happens or you do not intentionally install a timer switch (which technically powers off the outlet) then everything works "fine". I used quotes on the word fine because that's not exactly accurate. The commander also tends to delay the on/off time for whatever the reason. This has been reported by several people. See Chihiros facebook wall.

In the case you do not have a commander 4 and the light is plug straight to the power adapter:
Using a timer switch is not an issue and the light will turn on/off as set by the timer. The problem is not the light but the commander. Although not a huge deal, the downside is you lose the ability to control each color independently but most importantly the intensity of the light. So it will be 0%-100%-0%

Lame. I just ordered my light with the comma der last night. Fingers crossed I can diy a better solution with an arduino
You have 3rd party dimmers on the market. The TC420 or the TC421 (wifi version) being the ones that some people have used but on lower end model of Chihiros lights. For the WRGB that dimer might need some modifications which I am still unsure if I will go through it. The downside is that I think you won't be able to control the colors but only the light intensity. I am unsure of this though. You can read my posts over here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is an update for all you guys. I was able to talk to Chihiros at length. Finally. Here is the outcome of the conversation:

1 - The Commander 4 not being able to recover after a power loss, either due to an actual power loss or because of an intentional one (such as with a timer switch or simply because you unplugged the cable), is due to the fact that all settings are stored in the Commander 4. Since the Commander 4 stores settings in a RAM chip, all data is wiped out once power is lost and thus requires the app (ios of android) to copy the settings back to the Commander 4. Simply put this cannot be fixed by a software update. The device needs to be redesigned and potentially incorporate a battery that would save data in the event of power loss. So another edition of the Commander 4 is required. Basically a new product. So anyone with hopes that a software update would fix this can put those hopes to rest! ;)

2 - Commander 1&4 increase light by step and do not ramp up light intensity gradually. I was told that they would fix this by making the increase every 1 minute thus making the ramping smoother. Not sure this is the best approach but at least they heard people and are doing something about it.

That sums up the commander4gate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here is an update for all you guys. I was able to talk to them at length. Finally. Here is the outcome of the conversation:

1 - The Commander 4 not being able to recover after a power loss, either due to an actual power loss or because of an intentional one (such as with a timer switch or simply because you unplugged the cable), is due to the fact that all settings are stored in the Commander 4. Since the Commander 4 stores settings in a RAM chip, all data is wiped out once power is lost and thus requires the app (ios of android) to copy the settings back to the Commander 4. Simply put this cannot be fixed by a software update. The device needs to be redesigned and potentially incorporate a battery that would save data in the event of power loss. So another edition of the Commander 4 is required. Basically a new product. So anyone with hopes that a software update would fix this can put those hopes to rest! ;)

2 - Commander 1&4 increase light by step and do not ramp up light intensity gradually. I was told that they would fix this by making the increase every 1 minute thus making the ramping smoother. Not sure this is the best approach but at least they heard people and are doing something about it.

thanks for the clarification. my wrgb will arrive next week, least now i know wht to expect and do.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is an update for all you guys. I was able to talk to Chihiros at length. Finally. Here is the outcome of the conversation:

Thanks for that great update. That's very disappointing though given than some of these lights like the WRGB and Vivid are approaching premium status.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks for that great update. That's very disappointing though given than some of these lights like the WRGB and Vivid are approaching premium status.
The vivid doesn't need a commander 4 because it has a controller built-in. It's for the cheaper lights like the wrgb. The x series and vivid don't use it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the case you do not have a commander 4 and the light is plug straight to the power adapter:
Using a timer switch is not an issue and the light will turn on/off as set by the timer. The problem is not the light but the commander. Although not a huge deal, the downside is you lose the ability to control each color independently but most importantly the intensity of the light. So it will be 0%-100%-0%
Hi mate, if I have the WRGB plugged into a dimmer (S2 Pro) and then plugged into a 3rd party timer, will the light still switch on to my chosen intensity?

Also, as I've decided not to buy the Commander 4, does the stock (unmodified spectrum) colour look good?

·
Registered
706 Posts
If the spectrum is to be believed (and it most likely is) I would take the vivid. Looks very similar to an ADA Solar RGB which I love the color.
I have a too many questions about it to just buy on blind faith how come there is not a single decent review anywhere?
I'd like to see a solid review on it first before paying $250 USD +$50? hanging kit and light.
I could get a Twinstar 600S for much less. The Vivid could be used on bigger tanks maybe but the Twinstar would be perfect for my current 60p clone.

PAR?
Adjustability of the Spectrum?
Pur? Coverage?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Know this is an old thread but wanted to share my experience with the Chihiros Wrgb since it’s been a little different from the others who’ve posted about it.

I’ve had the light since October 2018 and aside from the commander 4 falling behind the actual time by a couple minutes a day, I can’t say I’ve had any problems with the light. Fortunately, running a “preview” of the lighting program gets the light synced back up with the correct time and I find I have to do it maybe once a week to stay more or less on schedule.

Considering all the other weekly maintenance the tank requires, syncing the light once a week isn’t that big of a deal to me But I don’t think it would even be necessary if I wasn’t running the whites at 1% at night.

Unlike some of the other posters, the programmed schedule has survived multiple power outages without issue. While it’s true that changes in the quick set mode don’t auto save, once I save a programmed schedule, it remembers it thru outages.

Also had no problem keeping the light on without keeping my iPhone right next to it.

I’d suggest that anyone whose had trouble with programming start with one of the presets, then tweak it to your preferred level as opposed to doing a Completely custom program. Main this is to make sure you save the program once it’s where you want it.

Controller aside, the light itself has served me well. It’s been more than a year, and all the diodes are still functioning, the color rendering is brilliant, it’s bright enough to grow monte, glosso, and hc 18” down with no problems- I’m currently growing lower light plants and keep the wrgb at around 50%.

I do run some additional leds in the front and back of the tank to cover the 2’ width and in order to run the wrgb at a lower level, but I think it would do fine on its own.

If you prefer multi diode lights to cobs for aesthetics, the wrgb is a great, albeit quirky, option. Especially now that the cost has come down a little.

Would prolly go with 2 of the vivids if I was buying new lights today, but have no regrets about purchasing the wrgb.

Reactions: ipkiss and markf
41 - 52 of 52 Posts