The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This review was not favorable for the ONF Flat One plus (not the original), it seemed to be a more yellow white not similar to spectrum of the Chihiros WRGB2 or Twinstar S lights.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j5-IFxVfZqE&t=1s
I actually have the blue/white one on my 60P. I love the way he says the onf is good for anubias and java fern, LOL. This light is so strong I can only use it t 40% It's not technically an RGB light. They call it ColorFull LED technology for increased color vibrancy. I'm far from a lighting expert so don't know how much BS is in there. You can't play with the different colors, but you can schedule color temp and intensity, more than you could do wit with the other ones compared here.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I actually have the blue/white one on my 60P.
No idea what "the blue white one" is you and everyonelse need to be using model numbers.
That video commentary is annoying but the appearance of the ONF light is definitely more yellow and not as pleasing as the Twinstar or Chihiros.

ONF flat one plus is not a light I would reccomend unless you love the aesthetics I don't find ONF lights in general a good value nor are they adjustable enough like the chihiros WRGB

I have a Twinstar 600s and I find the spectrum is great, its not adjustable like the WRGB but they nailed the spectrum. I am somewhat concerned about the build quality of the Chihiros lights but if that isn't an issue the power and adjustability for the price is really a compelling value and they seem to be improving their lights with every iteration.

As for adjusting the height the bar kits allowing you to suspend the light above the tank look great and allow for easy maintenancetheu allow a lot of configuarability with the spread of the light and flexibility without having to ceiling mount.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
No idea what "the blue white one" is you and everyonelse need to be using model numbers.
That video commentary is annoying but the appearance of the ONF light is definitely more yellow and not as pleasing as the Twinstar or Chihiros.

ONF flat one plus is not a light I would reccomend unless you love the aesthetics I don't find ONF lights in general a good value nor are they adjustable enough like the chihiros WRGB

I have a Twinstar 600s and I find the spectrum is great, its not adjustable like the WRGB but they nailed the spectrum.
They only recently came out with the 3000k to 6500k temp one. It's always been 6500K+ and the color temp is adjustable. There's definitely a communication issue with the Taiwan manuf. as they refer to the 3000K one as warm/cozy and the 6500K+ one as nature aquarium. The 6500K+ one is comparable to the twinstar and ADA as I showed you in the pick. The twinstar isn't adjustable at all and the onf flat has an app to do adjustments and a full cycle schedule. You really can't compare the onf to a chihiros in terms of quality. It's a completely different league.

https://www.onf.com.tw/flatoneplus?lang=en

·
Registered
74 Posts
But with regards to plant growth (which is what the review talks about) would we expect the onf flat one+ warm light to perform better or worse than the onf flat one+ cool balance.
-
My biggest problem with wgrb 2 light is distribution. You ahve to order from an exporter and cross your finger it works without issue. ALso the unlike the other lights it has very limited protection from water so you don't want it to get splash too much.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
But with regards to plant growth (which is what the review talks about) would we expect the onf flat one+ warm light to perform better or worse than the onf flat one+ cool balance.
-
My biggest problem with wgrb 2 light is distribution. You ahve to order from an exporter and cross your finger it works without issue. ALso the unlike the other lights it has very limited protection from water so you don't want it to get splash too much.
No there is no better between the warm and the cool it's just visual preference. Thy both overlap at 6500K. The warm I believe has more PAR, but this light is very powerful. It's also very wide at 8" and give good coverage. It has a diffuser which also protects the light from water.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
-
Distribution is its own issue, you need to be happy ordering from some place like aliexpress or [Ebay Link Removed] But for splash resistance, I feel really comfortable with my chihiros. The light itself has a good feel to it with no gaps around the edges. My only complaint regarding build quality is the free plug converter they throw in so it can use US plugs out of the box. If a few drops get on the light I am confident it will be fine. If you submerse it completely in water while on for a minute I am far less confident, but then again I feel the same for any light. Anyway my only point being that splash resistance should not bother you for this light.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It isn't that i disagree with you with regards to power but it begs why the reviewer found it did not perform well (or as well) with his plants. Then again his test was not exactly scientific so there could be some error in how he 'tested'.

No there is no better between the warm and the cool it's just visual preference. Thy both overlap at 6500K. The warm I believe has more PAR, but this light is very powerful. It's also very wide at 8" and give good coverage. It has a diffuser which also protects the light from water.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It isn't that i disagree with you with regards to power but it begs why the reviewer found it did not perform well (or as well) with his plants. Then again his test was not exactly scientific so there could be some error in how he 'tested'.
Not sure what plants it can't grow. All my plants pearl like mad under it. There's no reason it can't grow the most demanding plants.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not sure what to do with the Chihiros WRGB II. It's actually going to cost $85 to ship back.

I went ahead with the Twinstar LED Light (S-Series Vr. II) 600SP after watching this short tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl4tzLjKby0

I am hoping that it's more reliable since the Chihiros I received would also forget to ramp. It's supposed to connect to their cloud once it disconnects from your phone. At least that's how the smart power strip that I use to schedule my tank equipments operate.
I have used this light controller on my Twinstar 600SA for 6 months and now starting for my new Twinstar 1200SA and it works very well.

8 separate settings for time and level so that you can ramp up and down.

·
Registered
706 Posts
They only recently came out with the 3000k to 6500k temp one. It's always been 6500K+ and the color temp is adjustable. There's definitely a communication issue with the Taiwan manuf. as they refer to the 3000K one as warm/cozy and the 6500K+ one as nature aquarium. The 6500K+ one is comparable to the twinstar and ADA as I showed you in the pick. The twinstar isn't adjustable at all and the onf flat has an app to do adjustments and a full cycle schedule. You really can't compare the onf to a chihiros in terms of quality. It's a completely different league.

https://www.onf.com.tw/flatoneplus?lang=en

You are comparing RGB led lights (Twinstar, ADA) to ones with white LEDs (ONF Flatone ?? Plus??) and saying the spectrum is comparable due to similar color temperature. :confused:

You are also comparing limited color temperature adjustments (ONF) to seperate color channel adjustments (WRGB) not nearly the same.

Bump:
I have used this light controller on my Twinstar 600SA for 6 months and now starting for my new Twinstar 1200SA and it works very well.

8 separate settings for time and level so that you can ramp up and down.
Yeah I have the same dimmer works perfect on my Twinstar 600S(with legs) but there was an adaptor piece that I had to buy as well for it to work. Also don't ever get the dimmer wet or you can kill it. I didn't kill mine but it will malfunction if you get even a few drops of water on it until it dries.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You are comparing RGB led lights (Twinstar, ADA) to ones with white LEDs (ONF Flatone ?? Plus??) and saying the spectrum is comparable due to similar color temperature. :confused:

You are also comparing limited color temperature adjustments (ONF) to seperate color channel adjustments (WRGB) not nearly the same.
I'm comparing how it grows plants and what it looks like to the eye, not that it's RGB. There have been many comparisons with the onf flat and the ada/twinstar. Who cares what the tech is, only what it can do. Your saying lack of color channel is a problem but you praising ada/twinstar and you can't adjust anything. On the onf flat you can adjust color temp and intensity.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Does the app on this light really suck as bad as I’ve read from other reviews? I stumbled on Chihiros facebook page and saw a good amount of comments regarding the app flat out not working and some other comments about the green leds not staying lit. Part of the selling point for me about this light is the price difference and the tech and power when comparing it to the twinstar s series. They seem like similar aluminum builds now but the Chihiros has more power still and for less $$.

But is there really an advantage to having the app if it is so incredibly buggy though? I feel like once I dial in a setting that worked, I wouldn’t change it. Does my fish tank really need all that control with my phone though? I’m currently using a Fluval 3.0 and while I like not having to jam an extra timer on my power strip, I don’t actually use the app as much as I thought, but the light has been near bulletproof reliable, I just don’t love the colors as much.

Don’t think I’ll ever be able to make my mind up. The warranty on the WRGBII and the Twinstars suck too IMHO. When you pay north of $200 on any light you want to at least have the confidence that it is going to work.

Have any of the twinstar s series owners had any performance issues with their light? I know the wrgb II is more powerful but I’m not going to run it full power over my 60p.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does the app on this light really suck as bad as I’ve read from other reviews? I stumbled on Chihiros facebook page and saw a good amount of comments regarding the app flat out not working and some other comments about the green leds not staying lit. Part of the selling point for me about this light is the price difference and the tech and power when comparing it to the twinstar s series. They seem like similar aluminum builds now but the Chihiros has more power still and for less $$.

But is there really an advantage to having the app if it is so incredibly buggy though? I feel like once I dial in a setting that worked, I wouldn’t change it. Does my fish tank really need all that control with my phone though? I’m currently using a Fluval 3.0 and while I like not having to jam an extra timer on my power strip, I don’t actually use the app as much as I thought, but the light has been near bulletproof reliable, I just don’t love the colors as much.

Don’t think I’ll ever be able to make my mind up. The warranty on the WRGBII and the Twinstars suck too IMHO. When you pay north of $200 on any light you want to at least have the confidence that it is going to work.

Have any of the twinstar s series owners had any performance issues with their light? I know the wrgb II is more powerful but I’m not going to run it full power over my 60p.
I have the WRGBII and its an excellent light, very powerful and the ap to control it works fine; not buggy at all.
IMG_1509.jpg

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have the WRGBII and its an excellent light, very powerful and the ap to control it works fine; not buggy at all.
View attachment 906867
Awesome!! That’s great to hear. I ended up ordering one. I reached out to greenaqua in Budapest and asked them about the light specifically because they carry them and if they have had any issues with them. They highly recommend this light and are very pleased with them. I’m looking forward to getting mine. I ordered the shade attachment just in case and found a great price for both the light and shade from a business in Colorado that carries them. Should out to AquaRocks Colorado. Found them doing a facebook marketplace search. I’m waiting for their shipping container to be released from customs here in the US.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello,
I just ordered mine. Quick question. Can I select All in Intensity, and have all three colors at 100%, set it, and forget it? Will that be good enough to get my plants read? My light is going to be about 12 inches from substrate. I am injecting pressurized CO2 at about pH drop of 1.1, and its a dirted tank capped with blasting sand. For ferts, I am using Thrive+.
As a newbie, I am not familiar with nitrogen starving process, which I know is a great way to get red. But being new, I would like to stay away from it and I see many tanks where they are still getting red using powerful light. So I am hoping to achieve the same with this light. Thrive+ recommended to use 2 pumps, 3 times a week, I am doing 1 pump, 3 times a week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome!! That’s great to hear. I ended up ordering one. I reached out to greenaqua in Budapest and asked them about the light specifically because they carry them and if they have had any issues with them. They highly recommend this light and are very pleased with them. I’m looking forward to getting mine. I ordered the shade attachment just in case and found a great price for both the light and shade from a business in Colorado that carries them. Should out to AquaRocks Colorado. Found them doing a facebook marketplace search. I’m waiting for their shipping container to be released from customs here in the US.
Curious as to the reason for changing from the Fluval 3.0. Or can you elaborate on what about the colour you don't like?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Curious as to the reason for changing from the Fluval 3.0. Or can you elaborate on what about the colour you don't like?
Sure. There’s a lot that I enjoy about the Fluval- the warranty, the waterproof rating, the app control, grows medium to low light plants just fine. My crypts love it.

What I don’t love:

-It’s limited spread: I wish the light was wider. It is very narrow and I find that it doesn’t cover the whole tank well. Which brings me to the next point-
-It’s lack of mounting options: You can order a hanging kit for this light from Fluval to raise it up off the glass, but if you don’t want to hang the light, then you need to get creative. I went to a plastic store and had a couple pieces of acrylic cut and I then glued them together to create diy risers for the light. Check out my 60p journal. The risers I made work great for me raising the light about 5 inches off of the water. They allow me to increase the spread which is great and more room for me to work over the rimless tank. Without them the light sits right on top of the water which sucks IMHO.
-the color: While I like that I have more control of the color intensity, the “pink” LEDS it has are not very powerful. Increasing the pink has a minimal effect as the output of the pink LEDs is so weak. Now do I need the pinks to be just as intense as the whites or cold blues...no...but would I like to have more control of them...for sure.

I think that the chihiros has way more capabilities than the fluval.

The cons to me: They are not as widely available in the US. They have a limited 1 year warranty. They have a low waterproof rating. They run hot.

The pros: Mounting kit included. Increased lighting spread. Functional App. More powerful. Wider coverage. Telescoping height adjustments. Can be used as a pendant. Greater PAR. Optional Shades (which I ordered) that you can attach to the light to reduce spill outside of the tank.

For me it has a lot to do with upgrading my setup. Do I absolutely need the Chihiros, nope. My tank grows fine. Am I a little bit stir crazy staring at my fish tank during the pandemic, you betcha! For me my upgrade came down to the Twinstar 600 vs the Chihiros. I went with the chihiros finding it to have way more capability and versatility. Still waiting for customs to realease mine. Hope that helps.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts