The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chihiros WRGB II ? Early Thoughts? anyone have it yet and is it less buggy than the first version? As I recall from the thread for the first version, that commander 4 controller left a few things to be desired. Looks like a small strength boost but nowhere near what the X series pushes out

manufacturer page:
http://www.chihiros.cn/en/productd/m2/id416.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to know if somebody has any experience as well. Im deciding between Twinstar 600EA and Chihiros WRGB2 60. Chihiros lumen specification is much higher (4500 lm Chihiros vs 2550 lm Twinstar) which seems odd to me. Thanks

·
Registered
360 Posts
In german but use auto subtitle and you should get an idea. If you dont understand german that is :)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
In german but use auto subtitle and you should get an idea. If you dont understand german that is :)
Thanks for that review.

There's also an RGB A+ model with the controller built-in? Is the 2 available anywhere in U.S? Really aren't too many hi-light programmable fixtures that sit up high on a rimless. Anyone see anything else for a 60cm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got this. it's great looking. WRGB60 II. Unfortunately, the green light shuts down after 40 minutes if it's operating at 75% and above. I'm not sure if I really need green above 75% because blue is more important. Around 65%, it seems fine.

With just red and blue, you get a hot pink aquarium. the LED stays cool but the bluetooth unit gets really hot especially on auto mode. It's enclosed and molded in in plastic. This could be the problem.

I think Twinstar is better because you can at least get it replaced. Aliexpress wants me to send it back for a full refund $220. I will have to pay shipping out of pocket at around $45 $65.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
@Kandomere , thanks for that review. Sorry for the issues with your unit. It definitely is a damper whenever "shipping kills the deal."

@Asteroid , their lines are so confusing. George Farmer just did a review of the RGB Vivid 2 "too." Had me confused for a minute, thinking it was this one.
Thanks, i ended up biting the bullet and buying the ONF Flat One. Really well made, but pricey.

·
Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, i ended up biting the bullet and buying the ONF Flat One. Really well made, but pricey.
Congrats! That's really a beautiful unit. For the RGB Vivid2, crossing 300, yeah, I can see how I might be persuaded to hop up a little to the Flat One as well. I was a little dissuaded from the inflexibility of the app though. Ahh, who am I kidding, I'm not about to throw down that kind of money right now :)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Congrats! That's really a beautiful unit. For the RGB Vivid2, crossing 300, yeah, I can see how I might be persuaded to hop up a little to the Flat One as well. I was a little dissuaded from the inflexibility of the app though. Ahh, who am I kidding, I'm not about to throw down that kind of money right now :)
Thanks, I hear ya, i was very hesitant, but I got it on Amazon and then used the Amazon CrediT card and got another $70 Off so it wasn't that bad. All of these units have some downside. I actually got the Flat One +, so the newer app allows a ram up/ram down for 5 cycles, plus some other features. This unit is really wide at almost 8" front/back so it does cover some of the open-top look. Seems really strong (haven't measured par), but at 60% and 16" it seems pretty intense and it's turning my blyxa all kinds of nice colors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure what to do with the Chihiros WRGB II. It's actually going to cost $85 to ship back.

I went ahead with the Twinstar LED Light (S-Series Vr. II) 600SP after watching this short tutorial.

I am hoping that it's more reliable since the Chihiros I received would also forget to ramp. It's supposed to connect to their cloud once it disconnects from your phone. At least that's how the smart power strip that I use to schedule my tank equipments operate.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not sure what to do with the Chihiros WRGB II. It's actually going to cost $85 to ship back.
Is it AliExpress that wants you to ship it back, or is it the seller? If it is the seller, open a dispute with AliExpress. You may have better luck with them as the intermediary. To me, it isn't fair for you to pay out of pocket to ship a defective product back. It isn't your fault that your light is defective, so why should you be on the hook for it? That's the way I see it, at least.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the WRGB II. What do you want to know about it?

On a 12" tall tank it's overkill. I have it as high as possible on the legs and on 70% max and it is turning all my plants red even when I want some of them to be more green. I'm going to have to turn it down further.

The app can be finnicky but they recently pushed an update that makes it a lot easier to use. Color rendition is pretty great, but it takes some dialing in.

No issues for me with overheating. Sounds like @Kandomere got a bunk unit, which sucks. That is a downside-- everything is on Ebay and ships from China so you're kinda FOL if it's not working perfectly out of the box.

Edit: I did a comparison between the WRGB II and the Fluval 3.0 here

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took a chance and purchased a Vivid 2 on ebay with the reflectors. A single unit is hanging over a 120P setup peninsula style. The light has exceeded expectations - the color rendition is much better than the Atledtis lights it replaced. The near-infinite adjustments to spectrum/intensity makes it easier to start with lower light until your plants grow in, then dial it up or to change the colors rendition based on preferences. I rented a PAR meter and I'm getting 100-130 range at the substrate with the intensity set at 50% and the light about 25 inches from the substrate.

A few gripes: I wish the fan had a temperature sensor and only came on when needed. It's not very loud but with the room quiet, it is noticeable and at 50%, the heat fins are not even warm. The app seems to be a work in progress. They released a wizard recently so you can setup a ramp profile and then tweak it. It still needs work but I don't imagine I'll be messing with it much. Finally, as others have noted, buying off ebay or without a local distributor = you are out of luck if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm thinking of buying the WRGB 2 and was just wondering if you had any issues buying it from China? Any duty fees, etc?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'm thinking of buying the WRGB 2 and was just wondering if you had any issues buying it from China? Any duty fees, etc?
I bought one from aliexpress. No issues other then the tracking never worked. It came a few weeks after it was supposed to but that was also at the start of the pandemic so ... /shrug.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I own a Chihiros wrgb a plus and a wrgb 1 and no issues so far. The App based control works great. The only gripe is that when the mains goes off and it happens frequently during power shutdown and before the backup generator kicks on. The lights would restart from 12 am. So I have a UPS on both my tanks. So no issues from then on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is a bit of a bump but has anyone seen a formal test between this light and the warm balance onf flat one+ (there are two onf flat one+ - one is oriented torwards salt water and most of the reviews i've seen use that one and not the newer warm balance version that is better for freshwater).

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
This is a bit of a bump but has anyone seen a formal test between this light and the warm balance onf flat one+ (there are two onf flat one+ - one is oriented torwards salt water and most of the reviews i've seen use that one and not the newer warm balance version that is better for freshwater).
I don't think there's a better, just preference. The color temp of the blue one is 6500+ which is similar to Twinstar, ADA as their around 7000-7500k. The warm one is 6500 and less. The original onf flat one, not the + was the same as the blue one and it was being used for mostly planted.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I don't think there's a better, just preference. The color temp of the blue one is 6500+ which is similar to Twinstar, ADA as their around 7000-7500k. The warm one is 6500 and less. The original onf flat one, not the + was the same as the blue one and it was being used for mostly planted.
This review was not favorable for the ONF Flat One plus (not the original), it seemed to be a more yellow white not similar to spectrum of the Chihiros WRGB2 or Twinstar S lights.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j5-IFxVfZqE&t=1s

1 - 20 of 37 Posts