The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a minute since I've posted. My current tank has proven that I don't have the time for a high tech setup. I also don't have the water to keep RCS, it lacks proper Kh/Gh, so they can't molt correctly.

I want to do a low tech tank with various epiphytes, but I also want to use as much of the equipment I've gathered to set it up. So I was wondering if the chihiros WRGB ii would be able to run low enough to use as a low output light and not cause an algae outbreak.

I'm planning on just having some anubias, java fern, and some micro-sword with a small bioload of like a single betta. It'll be a 10 gallon tank w/ the Chihiros WRGB ii 45cm. Filter will be a sunsun-603b w/ inline heater. I might run CO2 while cycling to help keep algae at bay.

Does anyone know if this will work or should I plan on getting a different light?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Well... for your planned plants you could do with something a bit less expensive; the only plant that can be finicky depending on depth of the tank is the micro sword... but as noted you can make them quite dim... if you wish.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have the light, I have everything on it setup for a high tech tank. I just want something a little lower maintenance, but still somewhat rewarding.

Anyone have a general idea of how low I would want to run it for low tech? I just turned it on for the first time in a few months to play around with it. It looks like 15% is about as bright as my NiCrew light, I know I was initially going to run it at like 40-50% to start for high tech.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts