The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a quick update for those who have not read my previous threads.

I had 2 cherry shrimp in my 8gal nano along with rainbow shrimp and 2 red nose shrimp.I added a plant that must have had some kind of chemical and lost one of my long nose shrimp.Did a big waterchange and things went back to normal.

Then I added another plant but made sure I had rinsed it thourghly.Well it obviously wasnt enough as I lost both my cherrys and my long nose.The rainbows were fine both times although seemed a little stressed.Did another waterchange and left the tank for a few weeks and everything seemed fine.

Added 12 cherry shrimp after drip acclimatising them, in the first few hours I lost 3 of them.Then in the following week I lost another 3.Symptoms were swimming about restlessly and not eating.The remaining 6 seem healthy and eat when food is put near them.But the thing is they all gather at the top corner(as in the pic).Water tests fine(a ph of 6.6-7.2 ok for them?).The other inhabitants including rainbow shrimp and snails all seem fine.Am I missing something really obvious here?

Pic of the 6 remaining cherrys, they spend most of their time here occasionally sitting in the java moss near them and very rarely I see them moving about the tank, they tend to swim midwater though.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not really sure what is wrong, but your RCS sure LOOK healthy they are extremely red! You should notice when they are very unhealthy or about to die when they turn a milky white color. But those symptoms (frantic swimming) sure sound like chemical problems. What are your water parameters (i.e nitrite, nitrate etc.). Good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah meant to say, tonight I was re scaping my nano and I removed the offending second plant(it was growing too slow anyway)so the tank in theory is back to the way it was before the problems.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really sure what is wrong, but your RCS sure LOOK healthy they are extremely red! You should notice when they are very unhealthy or about to die when they turn a milky white color. But those symptoms (frantic swimming) sure sound like chemical problems. What are your water parameters (i.e nitrite, nitrate etc.). Good luck!
Nitrite is 0, Ammonia is 0 and the last time I tested Nitrate was about 10ppm.My GH and KH were 3 and 4 I think.Temp is abour 76.

Just took these pics.

cherrys clustered round a small piece of raptomin.

Rainbows foraging along.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Did you get a copper test kit yet? I know that all lfs plants have been dipped with a copper solution before they enter your country so they aren't invert safe. I would only get plants that are grown from other invert keepers tanks. Which in the UK there seems to be a growing number of folks.

Hoping for the best!

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get a copper test kit yet? I know that all lfs plants have been dipped with a copper solution before they enter your country so they aren't invert safe. I would only get plants that are grown from other invert keepers tanks. Which in the UK there seems to be a growing number of folks.

Hoping for the best!

-Andrew
I dont have a copper kit yet but im going to the lfs on friday.I ran carbon in my filter for 24 hours after the second time and havent added anymore plants since then though.Plus the rainbows and snails are fine.Are some shrimp more sensitive to copper than others?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would suggest soaking all of your new plants for several weeks in a separate container. Change the water frequently to flush out the copper if it is in there.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I dont have a copper kit yet but im going to the lfs on friday.I ran carbon in my filter for 24 hours after the second time and havent added anymore plants since then though.Plus the rainbows and snails are fine.Are some shrimp more sensitive to copper than others?
Some shrimp are more sensitive than others but usually cherries are one of the most hardy, but I've never had rainbows so I can't compare them. I would get the copper test kit and check that out. Maybe try feeding them in the middle of the tank and see if they go for the food? Its really strange...

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I tested my Gh and KH as I want to get my CO2 going again at some point and they were very low.Sooo I put some crushed coral into the filter and about 2 hours later I spot a cherry out and about.I'm thinking not again I bet adding the coral is gonna cause them to cark it.But he was munching on a squished pea I had put in earlier.On closer inspection I spot 2 more out and about in the java moss just foraging like they should. Dunno if its just a coincidence.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ok so I tested my Gh and KH as I want to get my CO2 going again at some point and they were very low.Sooo I put some crushed coral into the filter and about 2 hours later I spot a cherry out and about.I'm thinking not again I bet adding the coral is gonna cause them to cark it.But he was munching on a squished pea I had put in earlier.On closer inspection I spot 2 more out and about in the java moss just foraging like they should. Dunno if its just a coincidence.
Sounds like it helped. Keep us updated :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
10 ppm nitrates may be too high for the shrimp. I don't honestly remember what they want, but I know that most freshwater shrimp are very sesnitive to itrates poisoning.

Tommy

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
10 ppm nitrates may be too high for the shrimp. I don't honestly remember what they want, but I know that most freshwater shrimp are very sesnitive to itrates poisoning.

Tommy
Really? I dont think I could get it much lower without doing daily water changes:icon_frow

·
Registered
7,228 Posts

Tommy
I think 10ppm is fine. If its way more it might not be though.

Good to hear they're alright. But I would still get that copper test kit!

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They didnt have any copper test kits, but I will order one off ebay whats the best one?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
They didnt have any copper test kits, but I will order one off ebay whats the best one?
I'm not sure what the best one is... I am going to probably get one sooner or later as well. I would just go with a name brand if you can...

-Andrew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts