The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 50-70 cherry shrimps, 2 crystal red shrimps, and an oto cat. I feed them about half of a shirakura wafer every other day and I know its bad to leave food in there too long but after about 6 hours they are still eating away and still working on it. I feel bad about just taking away their food, especially if they are still eating. What should I do =[ and do they ever get full? or am i over feeding them :S

Also, a little off topic but my crystal red shrimps are losing some of their red colour, is that normal? :S they seem active and eating still so I dont think they are stressed =[

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long do you leave in for then? Or do you just leave it in there for them to completely finish?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
As long as they are constantly munching on it I don't take it out. If they stop eating it and leave it alone then I pull it out (theoredically....in practice I am usually too lazy).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't that bad for the water? And so shrimp don't actually get full?

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
heh Most for us know the "proper" way to do it, and then there's the "real" way we actually do it.

Leaving food in can lead to hydra, etc.

When I first began. I wondered if I could make my shrimp "fat." Haven't seen a fat shrimp yet. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has officially been 8 hours and they are still eating *sigh

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
OKay, so you know better for next time. The rule of thumb is feed only what can be entirely eaten in 3 hours.

This time it's too much. Next time, do a quarter and see if that's gone in 3 hours...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, next time I won't put so much. I figured it was going to be a good portion since there were so many of them plus my otocinclus

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update - so I feed them a quarter size now and now they fight for it.... There is no winning with them :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one really big one and he just takes the whole thing with him lol

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I break one algae wafers into 4 and leave it for 2-3 days, thats when it's gone. When I see excess algae, I just don't feed them and they take care of the algae. I also give them 2 slices of zucchini and thats gone in two days, I base my feeding on how the tank is doing. Fish don't need to feed everyday, and shrimps, there's always a natural food in the tank for them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm... If I put a big piece in there and take it out in a few hours can I put the same piece back in for the next feeding? Is it safe to do so?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And it is just a shrimp tank with an otocinclus catfish

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to try that then, Thank you everyone for the advice :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts