The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a couple of cherry shrimp at my lfs, and was very happy to have them. Well, after a couple of days, they disappeared adn have not returned. I'm guessing they've been eaten, but an tryinf to figure out the culprit.

I have:
1 Betta splendens
12 Perechelious axelrodi
4 hemigrammus ocellifer
2 otocinculus hourani
3 corydorus aeneus
1 panaque maccus

Whodunnit?!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap. That's what I thought.
I guess I'll have to wait for a second tank to put the betta in before I try to get more shrimp.

·
Registered
331 Posts
SLH said:
Crap. That's what I thought.
I guess I'll have to wait for a second tank to put the betta in before I try to get more shrimp.
What did they cost you? The LFS's around here still don't carry them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
about $4

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm, you may have a point, imp. The otos did hunt down and eat a full-grown oscar that I used have. They look innocent, but when they pull out those miniguns, it's all over.

BTW, jread, that was $4/each

·
Registered
993 Posts
What is Perechelious axelrodi?

Also, while I agree that the betta would be a good suspect, I'd also check your filter (if it's of the hang-on-back type) to make sure they didn't jump into it by way of the filter outlet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Damn those miniguns... You here the *whirrrrr* and its already too late.

Tragety...*shakes head*

^iMp^

·
Registered
423 Posts
Oh, and I'll second the filter suggestion. Red cherries, for one reason or another, love to get sucked up filter tubes. They must think its some sort of carnival ride.

Is there any way they could have climbed out of the tank? Like, is there a rough background (such as a moss wall) that they could use to get out? I've never heard of cherries doing this, but I know of some other inverts that, for one reason or another, jump ship.

Also...its possible you're just missing them. If they shed, they may get a little reclusive and hide under rocks/whatever. My amano shrimp disappear for weeks at a time...and this is in a small (20g) tank.

Good luck!

^iMp^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts