The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Heh. They'll make more shrimp. A lot of the "Fire Red" shrimp I see look pretty much like (and probably are) regular cherries. You can't exactly examine their breeding papers and parentage...
Painted fire reds ought to be substantially more red than all but the reddest of regular cherry shrimp. If that's not the case, either the cherries being sold are PFRs or the PFRs being sold are regular cherries. The young and males can have lighter color/transparent parts but the adult females ought to be very red.

Cories aren't usually a problem with shrimp, but they'll eat the babies just like any other fish would, given the chance. Give the shrimplets plants to hide in and they'll survive.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Fire reds will have no clear spots. Their legs tend to be red rather than clear. They will have more of a solid line down their back.

They will be perfectly fine with cories. Babies may get eaten but that should keep you from having a cherry overload.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Heh. They'll make more shrimp. A lot of the "Fire Red" shrimp I see look pretty much like (and probably are) regular cherries. You can't exactly examine their breeding papers and parentage...
I've noticed this as well.

Sakura's sold as fire reds.
Regular cherries sold as fire reds.
Or at a local fish club, there's a seller that sells low grade cherries (almost clear females) as "Nigerian Reds". And he always manages to get over $1/shrimp from people who don't know better. No idea if he's intentionally misleading people, or he doesn't know any better. (Haven't felt like confronting him)

If you are going to buy over the Internet ask to see to see photos of the shrimp you are getting. A lot of sellers will show photos of one or two adults which are fire red or PFR, but often they don't breed true and what you get are not FR or PFR but a mix of grades in their offspring.

Of course it also seems like people are selling them as juvies where the color has yet to fully develop and its not always possible to know what they'll turn into as adults.

On a more positive note, a LFS, when he can't get regular cherries will get in FR/PFR and sell them for $2/ea. Not a bad price considering most are FR with a few PFR thrown in, they're full sized/full colored adults, and you can pick the exact ones you want (grab all those berried females woo!).

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
My 2 week old cherry/fire red babies are already red. lol. They were clear for a few days now they are red, so I'm hoping they turn out as a good color since they are coloring up already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.