The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've just come back into the hobby and decided to try out shrimp, I was gifted a small tank and decided cherry shrimp were the right way to go. It's a shrimp only tank. I've got both red cherries and the yellow variety.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the different colours, ive already noticed that the yellows are way more active and the Reds hide away. Is this typical or just coincidence?
Thanks,
:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi all,
I've just come back into the hobby and decided to try out shrimp, I was gifted a small tank and decided cherry shrimp were the right way to go. It's a shrimp only tank. I've got both red cherries and the yellow variety.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the different colours, ive already noticed that the yellows are way more active and the Reds hide away. Is this typical or just coincidence?
Thanks,
:)
You don't want both yellow and red in the same tank.
They will breed and you will have brown/wild colored shrimp.
Sounds like you will need another tank to keep them separate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't want both yellow and red in the same tank.
They will breed and you will have brown/wild colored shrimp.
Sounds like you will need another tank to keep them separate.
I do want red and yellow in the same tank. I don't mind if offspring revert to wild colouring. I was just curious about any behaviour differences that anyone had noticed.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've found that amanos are very curious and like to swarm anything I put into my tank. I've also heard that yellows are harder to breed, but I've never had them myself.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have couple varieties of neos and haven't notice different behaviors. I have some with crs/crb and some in their own tanks but they all seem active and always looking for food as long as its shrimp only tank with no threats around them.

Never had two neo types in same tank as you have so can't say much on that but don't think that'll effect behaviors... just my 2 cents :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts