The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 6 shrimp and 4 of them have been saddled for about 3 weeks now and none berried. Any ideas why? Im pretty sure the other two are males. Also, how big does the saddle get before the female becomes berried? Im pretty new to this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would filtered water from the store have anything to do with it? Its not the softest but not hard either. 5degrees gh and kh. Run slightly below 7pH but pH usually evens out at 7.

·
Super Moderator
12,126 Posts
Would filtered water from the store have anything to do with it? Its not the softest but not hard either. 5degrees gh and kh. Run slightly below 7pH but pH usually evens out at 7.

I don't think so - in my experience, RCS will breed in almost anything!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sometimes it just takes a while for shrimp to settle or molt. I think some people feel shrimp berry less during the winter months. Be sure you have a male too and not young females with no saddles, some places will only sell female shrimp because they are better looking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My males are just as big in size as my females. I have seen about 3 molted shells now but still waiting on berried female. So it is possible for them to breed in softer acidic waters? Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well the saddle shrimp are in a stage of developing the eggs. In order for them to drop the eggs and be berried they got to molt.

What's your parameters?
Tds?
Temp?
RO filter water?
Tap water?
Gh? Kh?

My main focus would be temp. 76-78 degrees then I would focus on my Tds and using RO water and replenishing the minerals. Feed them a hardy diet to I alternate my foods every week I switch from a strict veggie diet to protein diet I go back and forth from those 2 diets. I seems to work for me. About 2 weeks after I get my shrimp into a established tank they berry up. Pretty nice. My carbon Rilis just hatched her first batch and is already berried with a second batch.

·
Registered
635 Posts

5 is pretty okay for those guys. I have a 6-8 gh in mines ph 6.8 Tds 174 I always bred in all kinds of waters. I find a stable temp is the best for these guys. Higher temp seems to stress them out. They go into hiding cause shady tank areas. Are cool. But still warm. You might want to check for a parasites. Maybe throw in some micro bacteria.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5 is pretty okay for those guys. I have a 6-8 gh in mines ph 6.8 Tds 174 I always bred in all kinds of waters. I find a stable temp is the best for these guys. Higher temp seems to stress them out. They go into hiding cause shady tank areas. Are cool. But still warm. You might want to check for a parasites. Maybe throw in some micro bacteria.
My temp is just above or about 75. And yes, u saw my quote on water parameters. I use ro drinking water from the store. No idea / dont have anything to measure tds with but I would imagine its average. There is a ton of moss in the tank, and they also feed on left over white worms from a few cardinal tetra also in tank.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Shirakura Liquid Mineral Ca+ adds vital minerals to the aquarium water and raises its overall hardness (dGH). Especially when using very soft water, a lack of minerals is well-known to occur quite quickly and Shrimps might suffer from loss of colour and skinning problems. The important microorganisms in the filter and in the substrate become inactive and the water quality decreases. A water hardness (KH) of 0-2 is recommended for breeding bee shrimps, as is a pH-value of less than 7 in order to avoid the formation of ammoniac. However, achieving these values, the overall hardness (dGH) often gets too low. In this case it is recommended to harden the water with Liquid Mineral Ca+ in order to avoid the death of the shrimps. The water hardness (KH) is not influenced by this. Mr. Shirakura furthermore recommends maintaining an overall hardness (dGH) of 5 or more for a healthy and strong skin. 1 drop of Liquid Mineral Ca+ to 1 liter water raises the general hardness (GH) by about 1° dGh.

Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ has especially been developed for the keeping and breeding of bee shrimp, bumblebee shrimp and tiger shrimp in an aquarium, to mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. It raises the total hardness (°dH) without significantly influencing the carbonate hardness (KH). This is especially important for shrimp originating from softwater habitats (ratio of KH/°dH: 0.06/1.0).
Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ contains all the important minerals and trace elements your shrimp need for their well-being, an intensive colouration, successful breeding and healthy growth. It also furthers plant growth and the microbial regeneration of biological filter substrates. The danger of noxious bacteria is reduced, as these salts especially further the growth of antagonistic (beneficial) microflora.
Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ does not influence the pH directly.
For keeping and breeding bee shrimp, aim for a pH of under 7. As soon as biological biodegradation processes start in your tank this may happen all by itself. However, if the pH remains higher, the low carbonate hardness (KH) enables you to influence the pH very easily, e.g. by the use of black alder cones or peat (both containing fulvic acids), or with pH-reducing additives.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So several weeks went by it seems. An update... still no berried females. I moved all shrimp to a larger 30 gallon tank and i added half tap water to it. It has sand on bottom with a driftwood /algae and a lot of java moss. I'm just waiting to see something happen. I also got some more from the store. I should have about 9 shrimps now so i think my odds are pretty good. Hoping they are settled in new tank.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Moving to a new tank,likely delayed the process. Shrimp like to be left alone, that is why we don't do large water changes and let the tank keeps itself in check for the most part. Look into the minerals know your tds meters are 10$ on Amazon. Best advice,would be get parameters straight,and let then be! Hard I know we were all the same way, I still catch myself doing it,to haha.

-Chris

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Are you sure you have males? Moving 9 shrimp to a 30 gallon tank also just made it a lot harder for the males to find the females. Just because your shrimp are saddled doesn't mean they are going to be berried. They have to saddle, molt, breed with a fertile and sexually mature male, then they will berry. Sometimes they will drop their eggs. But I have had plenty of females saddled that don't get caught (hide too well) and don't berry. Shrimp sex isn't kind, the female tries her darndest to NOT get caught by a male. So, saddling is just a first step in the cycle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.