The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have a 10g tank that has been setup for about 3 months. There is a good amount of java moss and water sprite in the tank. I started with 10 cherry shrimp about a month ago, and now I only have 3 (one male, two female). They seem to be dying slowly during the night, and when my light turns on in the morning they are often very white looking.

My kH is 4-5, gH 7-8, pH 7.8, nitrates 5-10, ammonia/nitrites 0, Cu 0. Temp is around 74-76.

None of my females have become berried yet, and one that arrived berried had the shrimp fry but they disappeared (I assume they died as I haven't seen them in two weeks). There are some pond snails in the tank as well, and the filter is a hob with a prefilter sponge.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Nitrates should be alot lower best to be at 0 with shrimp. I also dont use a heater in my tanks. I keep mine around 68. Do you inject co2? Use ferts? They will usually adapt to most water conditions for the most part. I keep them in softer water and they do fine for me. Do you have an airstone in there? Also is there any fish in there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nitrates should be alot lower best to be at 0 with shrimp. I also dont use a heater in my tanks. I keep mine around 68. Do you inject co2? Use ferts? They will usually adapt to most water conditions for the most part. I keep them in softer water and they do fine for me. Do you have an airstone in there? Also is there any fish in there?
I use excel daily, but no injected co2. I have aqueon "aquarium plant food" fertilizer, no copper or anything listed in it. There was an airstone in the tank, but I took it out. They seem to do about the same without the airstone as with it. Also, no fish.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I always had iffy luck using tap with any shrimp. Mine never bred and died also. Went to RO and remineralize and never had a problem. I have to pull them out all the time due,to massive breeding. Small tank It's cheap to run

-Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what kind of food are you feeding? you say they look white? Do they look milky like a bacterial infection.
I'm not sure what that would look like. They redden up during the day though, so I'm not sure that is it. I feed them fluval shrimp granules every 3-4 days, only a few pieces. I think there is plenty of algae and stuff for them to eat right now.

I always had iffy luck using tap with any shrimp. Mine never bred and died also. Went to RO and remineralize and never had a problem. I have to pull them out all the time due,to massive breeding. Small tank It's cheap to run

-Chris
I may try this. What do you use to remineralize?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I'm not sure what that would look like. They redden up during the day though, so I'm not sure that is it. I feed them fluval shrimp granules every 3-4 days, only a few pieces. I think there is plenty of algae and stuff for them to eat right now.

I may try this. What do you use to remineralize?

I use RO water and Mosura Mineral Plus Ultra. Works great and let's you control the parameters. I just use inert gravel, sponge filter and an hob. I can post a picture, it's really simple.

-Chris

·
Registered
907 Posts
I use excel daily, but no injected co2. I have aqueon "aquarium plant food" fertilizer, no copper or anything listed in it. There was an airstone in the tank, but I took it out. They seem to do about the same without the airstone as with it. Also, no fish.
Your water parameters looks ok, I am thinking maybe you are dosing too much fertilizers. with low tech, no CO2 you don't need too many plant foods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts