The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a juvenile fire eel who, I just found out this morning, is the cause of the disappearing shrimps around. I get cherries pretty cheap, are they a good nutritional item for my eel? (the thing's still pretty small, I'm surprised it can fit a shrimp in it's mouth!)

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't think you will find many people who are going to suggest or like the idea of feeding Cherry Shrimp to other animals. I'm not sure how nutritious they are, probably not much different from brine shrimp.

·
Registered
999 Posts
well seeing as how brine shrimp are the feeder of choice for a lot of breeders, your answer was unknowingly backwards lol. I think you might have meant to say they aren't much different from Ghost shrimp, which are basically the nutritional equivilant of crunchy water lol. As with any feeder, I'd imagine it would depend on what they are eating that would determine what the end nutrition would be for the eel. That, and if you get cherries cheap enough to feed to your eel, you should instead, ship them out to people on this forum and buy eel food. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
crunchy water!! love it
and i agree the shrimp fetch a good price if they have a good deep red to them sell them and get eel food. what price do u get them at the cheapest i have seen is .50c per

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, it's not so much feeding my eel shrimp as to having shrimp in my aquarium. I really like the sight of those in my aquarium, but they get picked off one by one. I could hit 2 bird with one stone; take care of my eel and have a nice display tank. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone here with this, but bear in mind that's how it happens in nature. Thanks for the answers though!

jk: I'm obviously not feeding crystal reds; I get a lot of 100 for 25$ + shipping. So it does amount to around 40 cents each in the end. Can you believe my LFS sells them for 4$ each? How outrageous!

·
Registered
66 Posts
what you could do is setup a small cherry shrimp tank that you could breed cherries and always keep your display tank stocked with quite a few cherries and just drop in som good healthy shrimp food every few days that will make them more nutritious for your eel. i personally see nothing wrong with feeding cherries to your eel because i have heard they are slightly more nutritious than ghost shrimp(but im not sure if thats true or not) and they reproduce fast enough that you wont have to worry about going and buying cherries every few weeks to feed your eel one lot of 100 should do it for you for life if you setup a tank just for them that you can thin out every now and then. i would also supplement your eels diet though with something that is guranteed to be more nutritious than the cherries

1 - 8 of 8 Posts