The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:frown:

I got 3 of them yesterday. Today evening, I came home and find one on the moss, molting. However, before it could finish molting, half an hour later he died.

The other 2 are doing ok so far, but they are just hiding behind some moss.
I'm not sure what I've done wrong. I cycled the tank since about a month ago, I have some plants in. Prior putting them in, I did a 50% WC. The LFS water and my water is obviously different so I do not see any problems in doing big WC.

Does the tank need more hiding spots? (click on my sig to see the tank).

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Getting full sized shrimp can be a challenge to move to a new tank, even with the best of param's. Most LFS sell full sized shrimp because they look nicer and more attractive to people to buy, but sadly many die after being moved to a new tank. That's why most breeders ship young/juvi shrimp. They take the tank change the best and who wants to send out a batch of $30 each SSS+ shrimp and have them all die on the buying.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Before putting them in and doing a large ware change make sure you acclimate the shrimp if the parameters between the LFS and your tank water are different. I believe the reason the shrimp molted was because of your large water change as those induce molting. However, with acclimation your shrimp should be fine. As thr previous poster also said the larger/older the shrimp the harder it is for them to adapt to even small water parameter differences.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I experienced the same problem a year ago. My tank had been cycling about 2 months, I added a couple adult shrimp, 2 days later they molted...next day dead.
I tested my water and everything was fine, but something I didn't do was acclimate them properly. They came in a bag of water and I immediately put that bag in the tank...then cut a little hole in the bag about 20 minutes later, and then about 10 minutes after that dumped the shrimp in.
Now I always do a very slow acclimation. Takes a couple hours, and they are slowly introduced to the new tank's parameter through drips. Haven't had a shrimp die since. And that tank is full of them now.

Plus a month old tank might still experience some spikes. I have seen tanks that re-cycle after a WC too.

Good luck! Hope the best for your little guys.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I experienced the same problem a year ago. My tank had been cycling about 2 months, I added a couple adult shrimp, 2 days later they molted...next day dead.
I tested my water and everything was fine, but something I didn't do was acclimate them properly. They came in a bag of water and I immediately put that bag in the tank...then cut a little hole in the bag about 20 minutes later, and then about 10 minutes after that dumped the shrimp in.
Now I always do a very slow acclimation. Takes a couple hours, and they are slowly introduced to the new tank's parameter through drips. Haven't had a shrimp die since. And that tank is full of them now.

Plus a month old tank might still experience some spikes. I have seen tanks that re-cycle after a WC too.

Good luck! Hope the best for your little guys.
I think it could be the acclimation factor after reading all of the replies. I put the plastic bag in the tank, and 20mins later, i cut it open and pour them in.
The other 2 are still doing okay as I checked them today.

diwu13, thanks for that link. I'll try that acclimation method if I add new shrimps later.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have had the same thing happen with Amano Shrimps, and after a bunch of water testing and trial and error, it ended up being the pH, which was way too acidic. You may want to check that. Also, shrimps are very sensitive to poor water quality, so if your tank has not fully cycled, then that may also be the culprit. In your OP you asked about hiding places for shrimps. Well, the more the better, especially if you plan to add more shrimps down the road. The Java Moss is a great start though- I only have one clump of it in my 6 gallon, and the shrimps flock to that stuff like it was going out of style.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.