The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cherry Shrimp Missing

593 13
Hello,

I'm a proud owner of a 55 gallon community freshwater tank and a 10 gallon quarantine tank. In my 55 gal I have 4 albino corydoras, 4 julii corydoras, 4 panda corydoras, and 10 ember tetras. I bought 10 grade AA cherry shrimp in February, and now I can only find 3. I have relocated them to the quarantine tank and hope to find more, but I have moved my plants around in search of them to no avail.

The temperature is kept at 78 degrees F by two heaters to accommodate the fish, and I'm hoping the heat isn't what killed the shrimp. There are 2 air stones and a 75 gal filter HOB. I have checked around for shrimp in case of jumpers and found none in the HOB itself.

The shrimp themselves look healthy and normal as far as I can tell. I've attached some old photos of the shrimp.

Please help,
-2332fun

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
There's a good chance some are just hiding really well, I recently broke down a 60 gallon community tank that I estimated had around 20-30 shrimp, turns out there was over 100. There's always a chance some will die when added to a new tank or for plenty of other reasons and your fish would destroy any evidence pretty quickly. Any babies will also have a low survival rate due to all the fish so I wouldn't expect their numbers to grow. If you set up a shrimp only tank they will start breeding very quickly, and you can add culls to your community tank.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,576 Posts
lol you can't keep track of cherry shrimp

they either reproduce like crazy or they all get eaten/die

if you don't have many they are probably hiding. they are bottom of the food chain after all. you'll eventually have a ton of them if they have enough hiding spots. I would estimate in my old heavily planted tank I could see maybe 10% of my shrimp at any time. there were hundreds when I tore the tank down

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought 10 grade AC cherry shrimp in February, and now I can only find 3.
It's not easy to find them even in a bare bottom tank, much less in a 55-gallon planted.

The temperature is kept at 78 degrees F by two heaters to accommodate the fish, and I'm hoping the heat isn't what killed the shrimp.
78 is not too high, but 83 will kill them. Are you sure your heaters haven't malfunctioned?
Shrimps are cold water species. It would be much better if you could take the heaters out.

There are 2 air stones and a 75 gal filter HOB.
You have covered the intake of the HOB, right?

The shrimp themselves look healthy and normal as far as I can tell.
Are they constantly grazing? They may stop for a moment, like 5 or 10 seconds, but aside that it should be constant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol you can't keep track of cherry shrimp

they either reproduce like crazy or they all get eaten/die

if you don't have many they are probably hiding. they are bottom of the food chain after all. you'll eventually have a ton of them if they have enough hiding spots. I would estimate in my old heavily planted tank I could see maybe 10% of my shrimp at any time. there were hundreds when I tore the tank down
I will check the tank again tomorrow but I was very thorough with moving the driftwood and looking in the undersides of the plants but here's to hoping you are right!

It's not easy to find them even in a bare bottom tank, much less in a 55-gallon planted.

78 is not too high, but 83 will kill them. Are you sure your heaters haven't malfunctioned?
Shrimps are cold water species. It would be much better if you could take the heaters out.

You have covered the intake of the HOB, right?

Are they constantly grazing? They may stop for a moment, like 5 or 10 seconds, but aside that it should be constant.
I have two thermostats on the tank, one on either end, to make sure my tank is always at the correct temperature. While the shrimp like colder waters, my other fish need it to remain mid to high 70s.

I don't have the HOB intake covered but I took it apart and there are no shrimp in any part. The holes in the intake are big enough to be a threat to snails but not the shrimp. Plus each week I'm pulling clumps of plant matter out of the intake entrance so they act like a natural barrier on it lol.

Yes, the shrimp are constantly grazing :)

·
Administrator
17,839 Posts
Rule of thumb: Any fish can make any shrimp a snack. Even if the fish is smaller than the shrimp. If a part of a shrimp can fit into the mouth of a fish? It can become a snack.

It looks like your moss has quite a bit of detritus and sediment on it, so it's likely not a great hiding spot for your shrimp. Do you have other areas where shrimp might feel safe to hide and reproduce? Making sure you cater to your shrimp will help your population grow. But keep in mind your fish will almost always make at least some dent in the population, as you're already experiencing.

Some other things to consider: water parameters. What are the parameters of your tank - including kH and gH?

Like @Asteroid hinted at, if you received adult shrimp? They could have been nearing the end of their lifecycle. Warmer temperatures, like the water in your tank, can speed that cycle up a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rule of thumb: Any fish can make any shrimp a snack. Even if the fish is smaller than the shrimp. If a part of a shrimp can fit into the mouth of a fish? It can become a snack.

It looks like your moss has quite a bit of detritus and sediment on it, so it's likely not a great hiding spot for your shrimp. Do you have other areas where shrimp might feel safe to hide and reproduce? Making sure you cater to your shrimp will help your population grow. But keep in mind your fish will almost always make at least some dent in the population, as you're already experiencing.

Some other things to consider: water parameters. What are the parameters of your tank - including kH and gH?

Like @Asteroid hinted at, if you received adult shrimp? They could have been nearing the end of their lifecycle. Warmer temperatures, like the water in your tank, can speed that cycle up a bit.
I only have corydoras and ember tetras though, and any time I've looked they never even go near the shrimp. I hope it's not true that they pick at them because I really enjoyed having a community tank with them in it!

I've attached a new pic of the full tank, do you think I need more hiding places for the shrimp? I have two coconut hides but the cories love to use them, along with driftwood with lots of crannies.

I have a test kit for everything but gh/kh. My local store doesn't have tests for those values. So I'm not sure what mine are..

They were pretty close to adulthood so I'm hoping it was just old age...I didnt realize warm waters sped up their aging! With that being the case I ordered a batch of 10 that should be coming in soon that I'll add to the 3 in the 10 gallon. They'll be in there without fish and will hopefully make a large colony!

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,839 Posts
I only have corydoras and ember tetras though, and any time I've looked they never even go near the shrimp. I hope it's not true that they pick at them because I really enjoyed having a community tank with them in it!
All of those fish can definitely harm, injure, maim, kill, eat shrimp. Depends upon a number of factors and the individuals in question but I'd put my money on at least some predation occurring in your tank. Usually taking place when you aren't around to witness it.

I've attached a new pic of the full tank, do you think I need more hiding places for the shrimp?
Definitely. Shrimp need tons of hiding spaces - ground cover, moss, thick/dense plants. Even in shrimp-only tanks.

I have a test kit for everything but gh/kh. My local store doesn't have tests for those values. So I'm not sure what mine are..
Would be worthwhile to figure out your gH and kH when keeping shrimp. It helps eliminate some concerns that arise when deaths like this occur.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All of those fish can definitely harm, injure, maim, kill, eat shrimp. Depends upon a number of factors and the individuals in question but I'd put my money on at least some predation occurring in your tank. Usually taking place when you aren't around to witness it.

Definitely. Shrimp need tons of hiding spaces - ground cover, moss, thick/dense plants. Even in shrimp-only tanks.

Would be worthwhile to figure out your gH and kH when keeping shrimp. It helps eliminate some concerns that arise when deaths like this occur.
That's a real shame, I guess I'll have to wait til I have enough shrimp to put the extras in as "cull shrimp" then :c

In the 10gallon there aren't as many plants to hide in but I do have a dome coconut hide with moss growing on it as a temporary set up. The tank was being used for quarantine so I didn't even have substrate in there as it was never meant to be permanent. Just has some loose plants floating in it and the one hide...I'll have to get more to properly set it up but at least they can avoid predation in there x.x

I will probably have to order the gh/kh test online. Thank you for your help!

·
Administrator
17,839 Posts
That's a real shame, I guess I'll have to wait til I have enough shrimp to put the extras in as "cull shrimp" then :c

In the 10gallon there aren't as many plants to hide in but I do have a dome coconut hide with moss growing on it as a temporary set up. The tank was being used for quarantine so I didn't even have substrate in there as it was never meant to be permanent. Just has some loose plants floating in it and the one hide...I'll have to get more to properly set it up but at least they can avoid predation in there x.x

I will probably have to order the gh/kh test online. Thank you for your help!
Floating plants, you'll find, are absolutely terrific for shrimp.

And it sounds like you're off to a good start in creating a solid shrimp colony. Good idea to let it get larger so you can then move some over to the main display tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts