The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 gallon Ocean Free tank is now betta-free and I've decided I don't really want another in there. Would cherry shrimp be all right in a tank this size? I've been wanting to get some, but I've read mixed things about keeping them in smaller tanks. It's planted with low-light plants and has a filter. Water changes are whatever I scoop out and replace weekly.

Can it be done, or will I be throwing away $20?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ummm try taking care of them in a larger tank in the beginning. Once you got the hang of everything you can throw in cherry shrimp in any sized tank! I wouldn't put 20 cherry shrimp in a 1 gallon tank though.

1 gallon is not a good tank if these are your first shrimp.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. Make sure the tank is very established, and everything is relatively stable. That's about all there is to it. Cherries are like roaches.

If Solstice can breed CRS in a 3 gallon I'm sure a 1 gallon is fine for cherries.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It should work if all the numbers are stable.....you should net out any additions though to keep from overcrowding...maybe start with a smaller amount.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If Solstice can breed CRS in a 3 gallon I'm sure a 1 gallon is fine for cherries.
At my high point (before I started dealing...err...selling :tongue:) I had about 140 CRS in that tank. Granted, this was 12 adults, 60 or so juvies, and the rest babies, but still a lot of shrimp. Gabeszone also has a friend in Japan that breeds CRS in a 1g.

RCS are also relatively hardy IME, certainly more so that CRS. As long as you're paying decent attention to your water params and aren't over dosing like a mad man, I think you'll be fine. :proud:

Ryu does offer good advice, though I think it may be more applicable to first time planters. Judge on your own experience. If you know your way around your tank, I don't think you'll have a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts