The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a 25% water change yesterday and then my male cherry shrimp went nuts- they're attacking every female they come in contact with. The females(about half) look like they are going to molt-I have 80 % females saddled and last night I actually saw 1 female lay her eggs.
TOO COOL it was awesome I watched her lay about 4 before she moved to another spot -the egg would pop out under her tail (around the middle or so)and then she'd spin it around and around and then reposition it where she wanted it. they would be layed about 1 at a time about 30 seconds apart. She layed 4 and then went about her business for a while eating etc. and then layed a few more. I couldn't see her after that but this morning she now has a tail full.
It was so cool she sat on a plant right infront of the glass for me. very accommodating:biggrin:

Cindy

·
Registered
123 Posts
What did you change the water with, enzyte??? :icon_lol:

How can you tell that they are about to molt? Also - what is the progression from a female being "saddled" to actually seeing baby shrimp? Also, you said she laid her eggs in various locations, and this morning "she now has a tail full". What does that mean? There is a 3rd grader I need to explain this to!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok
when a shrimp is about to molt they turn whitish -they almost look like they are covered in saran wrap. waxy looking

after a shrimp has the yellow saddle on her back it takes about 1-2 weeks before she lays her eggs. When she lays them the eggs never actually leave her tail. The egg drops down into the pocket under her tail and then she repositions it to where she wants it on one of her swimmerettes. with the one I was watching it seemed like she did 4 eggs and then took a break for a while and then layed some more. I saw 4 being layed up close and the next batch from a bit of a distance. After a shrimp has layed her eggs she carries them around under her tail and fans them with her swimmerettes. They usually range from yellow in color to blue or green. Personally I think that when they get closer to hatching the eggs darken- but I have no proof yet.:icon_wink
I guess it takes about 1 month from saddle to baby shrimp
hope this helps
Cindy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks Cindy. What is the correlation between molting, and this whole process? While you definitely sent us a berried one, we have not seen it since placing in the tank... might not have survived the green fire tetras, but maybe it is hiding. We do, however, have 2 that appear to be saddled. BTW - does "saddled" mean she has fertilized eggs, or does that come after they have been laid? Also - are the eggs carried until the babies are born, or are they ultimately placed somewhere in the tank?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think the theory was that molting leaves them more exposed to the hormones floating around so the shrimps are more like to want to mate/lay eggs/etc.

And yes, the eggs are carried until they eventually hatch, I believe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have seen this process also. I did not note the molt, but one day after cleaning a tank i saw a female get ganged on by males. Through the day I would note her and her position and I saw the shift from the saddle to eggs formed in the swimmer. What an interesting process, I am glad you could witness it also!

Yes the eggs do change colour near hatching, You can see the shape of the baby shrimps, the tell tale sign is their eyes. If you practice shrimp eugenics or selective breed for any specific reason this is a tell tale sign to move the shrimp to the birthing tank.

Congratulations Tundragirl!

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
Yes.....I am having the same experience with young females saddling in my tank. I have yet to see shrimplets, but I'm sure I'll get there! I wonder if the water change triggers a "spawning" response....similar to what you see in some fish....

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting correlation-:icon_idea maybe if your shrimp are having mating problems (ie not seeing saddles or eggs) you should try to do more water changes-that may trigger a mating response??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok
after a shrimp has the yellow saddle on her back it takes about 1-2 weeks before she lays her eggs.
Cindy
Do all types of shrimp get a yellow saddle? We have some cherry shrimp and they definitely do, as I've seen that. But we also got some tiger shrimp a couple weeks ago and I'm wondering if they also have a yellow saddle or is it a different color? Anyone that has tiger shrimp that have been saddled know?

Karen

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Do all types of shrimp get a yellow saddle? We have some cherry shrimp and they definitely do, as I've seen that. But we also got some tiger shrimp a couple weeks ago and I'm wondering if they also have a yellow saddle or is it a different color? Anyone that has tiger shrimp that have been saddled know?

Karen
I don't know about tiger shimp as I have never seen them anywhere other than the web but Glass Shimp have green eggs.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts

Karen
I know CRS have a yellow saddle, and I believe Tigers do as well. It may be a different color though.. Just google, Saddled Tiger shrimp for images you should get some pictures...

-Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.