The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I got a 20L shrimp bowl (it has filter and heater) with about 50 cherry shrimp and 12 crystal reds, the last 2 weeks I have had at least 1 cherry red die every day, but the crystal reds are fine. They seem to have mood swings couple of days they will swim around like crazy then they will slow down.

The only thing that has changed was the almond leaf that we put in the bowl, which has been removed because it made the bowl smell funny.

We do 50% water changes every few days to remove the smell.

Temperature is 24c
PH is 6.4
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 0
That is all I have tested.

They are feed every 2nd or 3rd day.

What do you guys think is the problem? If you need some more information I will gladly tell you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What's your gh and kh? Because certain gh/kh are better for CRS and the RCS will either survive and not thrive or slowly pass away.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Your pH is great for CRS...not so much for RCS. GH/KH is more key in my opinion as well as TDS. Your water changes are way too large and way too often, causes stress and parameter shifts and is the quickest way to kill shrimp if you ask me. Shrimp like stable conditions, large and frequent water changes are not ideal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys, ill get the GH, KH, and TDS testers tomorrow. I'll let you know my results. Everyone is very helpful here.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
24C is a little warmer than necessary. you are opening yourself up to bacterial infections when you start getting into warmer water temps.

you want to be in the 68-72F range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,

I tested my GH, KH, and TDS. The results are:

GH is ~53.7ppm (3 Drops)
KH is ~17.9ppm (1 Drop)
TDS is ~102

Ill change the water temperature down tonight, ill slowly get it down to 22c.

Let me know what you guys think the problem is.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey,

I made some changes to my bowl, which people on this thread mentioned.

I increased my ph to 6.8.
I decreased the temp to 21c.

The nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia is 0.

I will be increasing the gh tomorrow morning.

My shrimp at the moment seem less active, is this due to the temp drop? Also are all those parameters I just posted correct?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to mention these changes were done over the last 2 days. That's also why I'm changing gh tomorrow so it doesn't shock them. Is 2 days still to fast? Wasn't sure so I just randomly picked 2 days.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Should be ok. How are they looking now?

In my tank, I have the same set up with Fire red shrimps and Crystal reds. My CRS thrive a bit more than my fire reds because of the low PH I run.

I use to wonder why my Fire reds would die off 1-2 each day, and figured it was due to the high nitrates I had. Even though I corrected the issue, they were still dying. I spoke with some shrimp hobbyist, and they told me that although the issue might be fixed, sometimes shrimps don't recover, and once the damage is done, it's only a matter of time they die off.

Once he told me this, I just left the tank alone and in time, things got better (Some died in the process, but now it's fine)

Regarding your GH and TDS issue, I try to stick around 5-6 GH, and TDS around 150 give or take.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I believe for such as RCS or any Neo type, the TDS must be at least 150+ to 300 TDS (GH about 5 - 8) in order to survive rate well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts