The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up some cherry shrimp this past weekend from a seller on craigslist. His shrimp looked healthy, active, and a few were berried. I bought ten of them and he included a berried female.

Fast forward a few days and they just don't seem very active in my tank. They just kind of sit on plants very still, I'm not able to count the ten that I bought.

The setup is a planted, fully cycled 10 gallon. Temperature is around 76-77 degrees. There is zero nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, and copper. PH is at 7.6. I could not find any drip tests for GH and KH. I have some API test strips that read 180 ppm GH and 40 KH.

I've read other posts stating ideal conditions are: GH between 3-5 and KH around 2. How do I convert my readings in ppm to whatever scale these readings are in?

If my GH and KH are off, what can I do to correct them?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Cherries are like cockroaches and can fine in most water, and your pH/gH/kH seems fine. You don't mention, do you do CO2 in your tank?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Temp is right around 76-77 degrees. Running a sponge filter only, so not much current in the tank.

I've counted two moltings, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Tank cycled for about two months.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I feed them shirakura shrimp food. I drop like a quarter of a chip in, but they never gather around it. I haven't even seen them eat it actually....I have a small school of pygmy cories in the tank as well. I feed them daphnia. Sometimes the shrimp seem to eat that too. Otherwise there is some algae on the back of the tank as well.

I also feed the cories nls 0.5mm pellets as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
May have been due to how you acclimated them to your tank?

Once established though, rcs are very hardy.

Molts are a good sign.

In 6 months, you'll have RCS's coming out your ears!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts