The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fishless cycle is complete on my planted tank, so I decided to get a few shrimp to help keep things clean down there on the bottom. Petco only had 2 cherry shrimp, so I got them both and a couple of amanos to start with. When I got the little guys home, I noticed one of the cherries was not a guy, but a girl and she has a clutch of eggs under her. My question is, are they likely to survive? Will I have a shrimp explosion? I've never kept shrimp before, so I don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You might! You might also not. It depends on how different your tank water is from the tank water of the store. If the eggs survive, the shrimplets will graze on the aufwuchs (biofilm) in the tank, so no worries about feeding any more than necessary!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and I'll keep my fingers crossed. If I don't end up with a bunch of free shrimp, that's cool too. I wanted a small group of them, not an army, lol. Although, the more I watch them, the more I think about doing an all shrimp tank in the future, they are pretty cool little creatures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: They hatched! I had given up, because the female cherry molted and according to google, the eggs don't usually survive that. Sadly, she just up and died a few days after that. all of the other shrimp are still healthy and active, so I don't know what caused it. Anyway, I was doing a weekly water change today and spotted at least 3 tiny little red shrimp. I hope I didn't suck any up the gravel vacuum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts