The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cherry Shrimp Being Eaten?

7292 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Knotyoureality
Hey all,

I'm new to aquarium keeping and just set up my first 8 gal a month ago. I have 5 Rummy Nose Tetras, 5 Cardinal Tetras, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 2 Apple (Gold Mystery) Snails, 1 Male Betta (who is currently in his own bowl because he scratched his head on our new filter) and 4 (used to have 7) very sad looking Cherry Shrimp.

Planted with Water Wisteria, Java Fern, Java Moss, Banana Plant, Anacharis, Dwarf Grass, Micro Sword, Bog/Drift wood and 1 Marimo Moss Ball.

I have a bubble bar, filter, fluval plant substrate and a 13W light too.

For the last two weeks everyone has been getting along just fine, everyone was eating, and the water looked good:
Used API 5-in-1 test strips
GH: 0-30
KH: 0
pH: 6.0-6.3
Nitrite: 0.5-1
Nitrate: 20

We were using SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement, but we found a shrimp (not a molt) dead and thought, "maybe we over-dosed". So I stopped using the Flourish and the shrimp were fine. Then yesterday I came home to a half eaten red shrimp and another laying on his side not moving. He was still alive though, and the Rummys were nipping at him and chasing him around the tank. I fished out the 4 shrimp and put them in a breeder box where they are now. All the shrimp have bits of their tail fins missing (chewed off?) I checked the water:

GH: 30
KH: 0
pH: 6.0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 20

I did some research and saw that cherry shrimp need a higher pH, so I did a 30 percent water change and added some baking soda solution (1 tsp baking soda & 1 cup water, put only 1/3 cup of this solution in the tank) then tested again:

GH: 30
KH: 40
pH: 7.0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0-20

So the pH should be good for the shrimp, ( I had been keeping it low because the a few Rummys had died early on from high pH (I think)). It's been about 24 hours since I tested the water and the shrimp seem to be OK except for 1 who still lays on his side like he's exhausted. They're still in the breeder box and I'm afraid if I let them out the Rummy's will eat them.

Not really sure what I should do. Ideally I would like to be able to keep the shrimp and the Rummy's but it's looking like they aren't compatible. I've been feeding everyone blood worms and Tetra Crisps 2x a day, but the shrimp still get harassed.

Any help or advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. :)
I put this thread in the "Fish" section first by mistake, thought I'd post it here too just in case.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.