The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ive just set up a new planted tank and ive used a big piece of cherry root in it it looks fantastic. I boiled it and have had it in water for week. However since its been in the tank for 4 days its started to have some sort of grey mould / algae growing on it and i was wondering if this was okay and that its not going to have effect an effect when i put fish in it. Can any one help out here

Ricky
 

·
Returning. Videotapes.
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
Rick....

It's fine, and happens quite often. It is harmless to plants and fish. You can either siphon it off when you are doing water changes, or you can add hydrogen peroxide to kill it. If you use H2O2, do not add any more than 15mL at a time, and use an eyedropper or turkey baster to apply it directly to the effected area. Be careful! H2O2 can be poisonous to fish and inverts for a minute or so until it fully reacts and starts to bubble.....make sure that they are away from the area (which they probably will be anyways due to their skiddish nature when your hand is inside the aquarium). Treat it until its gone over the course of a few days.

The best thing to do, though, is to just siphon it off and wait until it goes away on its own. It'll be gone in a few weeks or so.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top