The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a planted EBI tank running for probably 2 months now.

I got a shipment of 20 cherry red shrimps (babies and young ones) and they slowly died off over 5 day period.

The tank has two ottos, several plants, and driftwood.

My parameters were well withing tolerance ranges for the shrimp although I did not have a copper test. Temp is like 78 to 80 degrees. I am not adding CO2.

Before I bought these CRS, I had about 6 Petsmart ghost shrimp in the tank.

They seemed to died off over 4 weeks although I even had a berried female for a time.

I did remove the last one before I added the CRS since I figured it might eat them. He seems to be doing well in my EDGE tank but probably will get eaten in time.

The ottos seem fine but they are no as active as my EDGE ottos and I will get more since the tank is getting more algae than I want.

I am not sure what killed the shrimp but I would like some advice before I buy another group.

I did do some stuff to the water so here goes:

1) Had a sick otto so I threw in some antiboitcs (doxycycline) and tried some Melafix. But that was 3 weeks before I introduced the CRS.

2) I use aquarium salt with water changes.

3) I did dose Seachem Excel and another plant product (API Leaf Zone [I think}) to help the plants. I wonder if this did it?

4) Could my driftwood be releasing a toxin? I thoroughly boiled them several and had no tannins in the tank.

5) I don't think they starved since I used the Ebi food and I saw them eating it.

Anyway, ottos, plants, and crappy algae seem to be doing fine. I even threw in an airstone to help move the water.

So I am not sure what I did wrong.

I suspect it is one of the medicines or plant foods.

So how would I get rid of the toxins? Lots of water changes?

I am looking to get another batch in a couple of week.

A shrimpless EBI is boring!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I dose excel with my cherries and they're fine, cherry tank is a bit warmer than crystal, they're fine. I would say maybe the meds you added, did you run carbon in the filter for a while first to remove the meds? Not sure about the salt either for the shrimp.

·
Banned
943 Posts
I have a planted EBI tank running for probably 2 months now.

I got a shipment of 20 cherry red shrimps (babies and young ones) and they slowly died off over 5 day period.

The tank has two ottos, several plants, and driftwood.

My parameters were well withing tolerance ranges for the shrimp although I did not have a copper test. Temp is like 78 to 80 degrees. I am not adding CO2.

Before I bought these CRS, I had about 6 Petsmart ghost shrimp in the tank.

They seemed to died off over 4 weeks although I even had a berried female for a time.

I did remove the last one before I added the CRS since I figured it might eat them. He seems to be doing well in my EDGE tank but probably will get eaten in time.

The ottos seem fine but they are no as active as my EDGE ottos and I will get more since the tank is getting more algae than I want.

I am not sure what killed the shrimp but I would like some advice before I buy another group.

I did do some stuff to the water so here goes:

1) Had a sick otto so I threw in some antiboitcs (doxycycline) and tried some Melafix. But that was 3 weeks before I introduced the CRS.

If these meds had any large amounts of copper that could have killed them.

2) I use aquarium salt with water changes.

I cant speak if this is harmful persay or not but I cant imagine it being good for the shrimp

3) I did dose Seachem Excel and another plant product (API Leaf Zone [I think}) to help the plants. I wonder if this did it?

Excel can be very bad

4) Could my driftwood be releasing a toxin? I thoroughly boiled them several and had no tannins in the tank.

5) I don't think they starved since I used the Ebi food and I saw them eating it.

Anyway, ottos, plants, and crappy algae seem to be doing fine. I even threw in an airstone to help move the water.

So I am not sure what I did wrong.

I suspect it is one of the medicines or plant foods.

So how would I get rid of the toxins? Lots of water changes?

I am looking to get another batch in a couple of week.

A shrimpless EBI is boring!

Thanks!
I highlighted in bold and replied. Basically I would say:

Drain all the water. Refil with distilled/RO water only. Add about 1 capful of the mineral stuff that should have come with the tank. Let it run for a day and check GH. Keep adding a capful of the mineral stuff a day till you reach about 6 GH. The fluval shrimp startum should buffer the PH down to the proper levels. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE. Ever. Period. Its the only way to be sure your tank is free of any toxins and harmful trace elements. Also although I believe the cherries can survive in that high of a temp it would be better if the tank was around 75 F. Take what I say with a grain of salt as im still learning myself.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do use a carbon filter.

I think two large water changes 90% (rather a complete tank drain) would help and then I would forget the additives other than the shrimp stuff that came with the tank.

I plan to add a fan to cool the tank down.

I guess if i can get ghost shrimp to survive, so should cherries?

It's hard to cool down a house here in Fort Lauderdale (gets into the 90's these days) but I think I can set the temp to 77 and then use a fan.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I use excel in both my shrimp tanks and have no problems or die offs. I keep both crystals and OEBT's in about 71 degrees. I make sure not to over dose as well. All are producing offspring rapidly. I use straight RO water and add the shrimp mineral additive. Good luck

Don't use excel and lower the temp, it shouldn't really be over 76 degrees in there ever, that should solve you're problem..

·
Banned
532 Posts
Temp is like 78 to 80 degrees. I am not adding CO2.

Before I bought these CRS,
The temperature is a bit on the high side. Red cherry shrimps are well known for NOT doing well in high temperature.

Also, I would get rid of the salt and fertilization dosing until being satisfied that the shrimps are doing well. Then start dosing to see if it causes any shrimps to die.

BTW, CRS typically stands for Crystal Red Shrimp, not Cherry Red Shrimp as you had intended. As always, using acronym runs the risk of being mis-interpreted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.