The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 10 Cherry shrimp into my aquarium around a month ago. They stay inside a clump of Java moss and I occasionally see one or two. I moved everything from a 29g to a 55g a couple weeks ago and was able to verify that most of the 10 are actually there.

The tank is also occupied by some glass shrimp and community fish.

Question -- should I expect to see the Cherrys out in public like the ghost shrimp?

Thanks

·
Registered
889 Posts
I put 10 Cherry shrimp into my aquarium around a month ago. They stay inside a clump of Java moss and I occasionally see one or two. I moved everything from a 29g to a 55g a couple weeks ago and was able to verify that most of the 10 are actually there.

The tank is also occupied by some glass shrimp and community fish.

Question -- should I expect to see the Cherrys out in public like the ghost shrimp?

Thanks
I have heard the RCS tend to hide a lot and do not usually come out in the open, especially if you have fish in their. 10 RCS in a 55 gallon tank? Good luck finding them:proud: :sleep:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I don't thinks it's a matter of hiding...just staying where the food supply is.

IME shrimp are pretty oblivious to what's going on around them unless it's a direct assault. When taking pictures I can easily prod shimp into position using a stick or long pair of hemostats.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wow you actually push shrimp into position? They usually jump unless I hit them from behind. Most of the time they turn around and climb onto the stick. I use chopsticks to do my stick work and they seem to love picking at it.

Also cherries are known to hide when fish are present. I remember my friend told me he said all his shrimp died, but when he turned a rock over, there were around 30 of them hiding.

·
Registered
477 Posts

IME shrimp are pretty oblivious to what's going on around them unless it's a direct assault. When taking pictures I can easily prod shimp into position using a stick or long pair of hemostats.
Couldn't be more right about my RCS, they're oblivious to everything around them especially my H. rasboras, heck, sometimes they even swim with them in the middle of the tank, they don't seem to care. They rule my tank and are always out in the open with my CRS and otocinclus'.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have about 15 in my 10g with two baby zebra danios and 2 oto's. None of the fish nor the cherries care about each other. I've often seen the oto's and cherries eating beside each other. When I get in the tank to remove little nuissance pond snails, the cherries couldn't care less if I'm tinkering around them and I often see them swimming around the other occupants.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

I also agree. I can pretty much push them heard them with my hands, stick, or something.

Also, since the shrimps are in a 55 gallon tank, it maybe hard to find them all. Eventually when they multiply, they will be all over.

When I first setup my shrimp tank, they appeared to hide, but I realized that the substrate was free of any detritus, critters, etc. that they feed on. Now the tanks are well established, I see them out and about, even out in the open, with no covering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts