The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we are about to be overrun in a few months! :bounce: I just noticed a 3rd berried female, plus 2-3 that are saddled!!! Not to mention, the other 20-ish that are still juvies!!! All of this in a 10 gallon.

This population is compliments of Tundragirl and Milalic. 2 of the 3 berried, are intense red - to a point of near solid red. The other is not quite as red but close.

Do females tend to get more red when berried? Also, I have about a half dozen that are around 3/4 inch or so that are virtually colorless. Is this just an issue of maturity, or are these just likely to be males? I have noticed significantly smaller shrimp with much more color.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I think we are about to be overrun in a few months! :bounce: I just noticed a 3rd berried female, plus 2-3 that are saddled!!! Not to mention, the other 20-ish that are still juvies!!! All of this in a 10 gallon.

This population is compliments of Tundragirl and Milalic. 2 of the 3 berried, are intense red - to a point of near solid red. The other is not quite as red but close.

Do females tend to get more red when berried? Also, I have about a half dozen that are around 3/4 inch or so that are virtually colorless. Is this just an issue of maturity, or are these just likely to be males? I have noticed significantly smaller shrimp with much more color.

Excellent. The very red ones might be the ones I sent. Females are usually darker than males.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
It doesn't seem like the females redden up (is that even a word?) when they are berried. I had 3 berried females in my 25g and they seemed a real intense red all the time, but they weren't always carrying. The female juvis seem to show a little more color than the males, but are far from dark or solid red. I think it has to do with sexual maturity. FWIW, I have juvis of several different sizes (multiple broods) and only the larger ones are starting to color up. the small ones (1/2 - 1 cm) are almost colorless.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent. The very red ones might be the ones I sent. Females are usually darker than males.

Cheers
Pedro - the shrimp I received from you were among the larger ones... other than that, what makes you think yours would be more red? Personally, my son and I are delighted with all of them!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Congratulations! Finally your son has something to be excited about after staring at a cycling tank for a month, lol.

·
Registered
452 Posts
:D I would be glad to take some off your hands (as long as they're not overpriced at like.. $20 for 5 LOL :p) eventually. ;)

But yea, I've always wondered about why some look so intensely red, and some... don't. :confused: Mystery to me. Wish science could explain that one to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Ringram - thanks for the comparison to your own stock. Will have to see how these things color up over time.

@ Chrona - my son, and myself, have been excited about this project since before things were cycled - and we have YOU to thank for getting us through that! Not a bad feat considering you are still going through some of this as a first timer too (albeit, a far more educated first timer!)!!!! :hihi:

@ Haeun - my son has plenty of desires beyond this current tank that will hopefully be funded, in part, by these cherries. However, there are certainly plenty available on the swap & shop subforum here, so if you are in a hurry, that would be your best bet. If, on the other hand, you are looking to help a 3rd grader, then he should have something to ship in about 5 weeks if all goes well.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Pedro - the shrimp I received from you were among the larger ones... other than that, what makes you think yours would be more red? Personally, my son and I are delighted with all of them!!!!
I made sure to send two very red females to you...that is why I know. :hihi:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made sure to send two very red females to you...that is why I know. :hihi:
Safe bet then that these came from you, and I cannot thank you enough for doing so.

For those that do not know the story, Milalic simply sent my son some cherries because he just wanted to help a kid when a previous shipment never arrived from another seller! Didn't ask him to. Didn't pay him a dime. Ultimately, the other shipment DID arrive with some survivors, in addition to a second shipment from the original seller. That explains the multiple-source of this particular batch. Each of these people (Tundragirl & Milalic) have given my son one heck of a bite into this particular hobby!!!!! Hard to pay each of them back in a meaningful manner, so my son's desire is to now expand his own knowledge, and livestock, to a point where he can help other kids enter and grow in this hobby.

·
Registered
670 Posts
wahooooo let the babies come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now mabe you can get those yellows your other son wants.LOL:biggrin:
pretty soon you'll need another tank anyway
Cindy
mine get very red when they reach full maturity. :biggrin: but I know that the ones I sent you wont be that far along yet.:biggrin:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Oh! That was you guys! I remember reading about that shipping mishap, and Milalic's great service.

^_^ No problem, I'll buy shrimps from you guys when they're ready. ^_^ Would like to think that my money is also actually helping someone.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Shrimp turn darker red if they are living with a darker substrate, like black gravel. I have 1 tank with light colored sand, and they are not too red. I have another tank with light blue gravel (thought the red would contrast with the blue but I was wrong), they are not too red in there either. I just added black gravel to a 3rd RCS tank and they are starting to darken up. It's been 5 days since adding the black gravel.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Congrats to you and your son, Owen! :biggrin: I'm just starting out with cherry shrimp myself after getting my first batch a month ago. They're just as prolific as everyone says ~ saw my first babies yesterday. YAY! They're SO CUTE!! Just like adults, but tiny and clear with only a small reddish brown spot that's their internal organs.

I got mine from Yoink, traded a boxful of pond plants for them, and he sent the most gorgeous shrimp in return, even a few adults. Sounds like you got some adults as well? If so, get ready! It won't be long now! :biggrin:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info and well-wishes everyone! Now, someone please tell me why, despite the fact I know if will be a good 3 more weeks before babies, that I cannot HELP but stare into the tank every chance I get?!!! :icon_mrgr

Certainly had some saddled when they first arrived. Also received a berried female, but I think it may have fallen prey to the green fire tetras that coinhabited the tank for about 4 days before I could remove them.

We have about 5 that are roughly 3/4 inch long... perhaps a bit more. They swim like crazy, sometimes in a loose group, but they hardly have any color. We also have some that are at most a 1/2", and very red. From what I have read, I am guessing these larger ones with less color are highly likely to be young males.... sound about right?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Now, someone please tell me why, despite the fact I know if will be a good 3 more weeks before babies, that I cannot HELP but stare into the tank every chance I get?!!! :icon_mrgr
Carly Simon says it's ♪♫ An-ti-ci-pation ... an-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun ...♪♫

We have about 5 that are roughly 3/4 inch long... perhaps a bit more. They swim like crazy, sometimes in a loose group, but they hardly have any color. We also have some that are at most a 1/2", and very red. From what I have read, I am guessing these larger ones with less color are highly likely to be young males.... sound about right?
Sounds about right to me, Owen ~ young and even some older ones. My 3/4" clear ones that I think are males swim around a lot more than the females, especially when a female molts. I read on here that that's normal ~ that when a female molts she gives out phermones that make the males go crazy.

Also, I'm not positive, but I think the mature females are a bit bigger than the mature males. So I'm thinking that those 3/4 inch clear ones are mature males. Makes sense to me since I haven't seen any clear ones bigger than that yet, while I definitely have some deep red females much larger than that. Anybody else know for sure?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely a molt last night... evidence was right in front this morning. Probably explains the frenzied swimming!!! I think he is going to need a bigger tank:icon_bigg !!! How many cherries can a 10g accomodate and keep healthy if the only other residents are 2 ottos (and a growing population of snails)? Water changes are every 5-7 days, approx 2 gallons at a time. Nitrates at present never seem to rise above 10ppm.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't know for sure. I do know that the amount of filtration and plants you have will have a lot to do with it ~ more filtration and/or plants would mean more shrimp could be kept. I've read people here state they had well over a hundred shrimp (guesstimate) in a heavily planted ten gallon with no mechanical filtration. I think I remember someone saying they had hundreds in a heavily planted ten gallon with extra mechanical filtration.

My experience ~ Currently, I have fifty or so adults plus babies (counted over a dozen today! :biggrin: ) in my ten gallon fairly well planted tank (you can see it from the link in my sig). I have a few ramshorn snails and an overabundance of pond snails in there as well, and that's all for inhabitants. I feed every other day ~ one small block of blood worms or something of that sort or four or five algae wafers. I've been cutting that back to something every three days due to the snail population increasing ~ I've read here that that's from overfeeding. I don't dose anything at the moment except the occasional Seachem Flourish and do water changes of about 80% every couple weeks. No CO2 yet, no extra light except dappled sunlight, and no filtration of any kind except the plants and occasionally I put a pot of clams in there (four or five in one pot) for a few days. I also read that babies like the green algae that grows on the glass, so I've been leaving the algae on the two ends and just scraping it off the front and back.

Everything's trucking along fine so far ~ no deaths and everyone's eating and seems happy (counted fourteen berried females and umpteen saddled ones the day before the babies came). I have a pump and sponge standing by just in case, and another tank will soon be set up and planted just in case I need to move some into it. So, I guess pretty soon I'll see just how many will fit in a ten gallon! LOLOL!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice looking tank. I need to get a photo of my son's tank one of these days.

His tank has a HOB filter rated for tanks up to 20gal. I also added a bunch of ceramic discs/cylinders that are normally used in canister filters. It also has a sponge pre-filter to keep the shrimp out, so I'm guessing it can handle quite a bio load. There are already 3 berried females in there, and at least a few more saddled.... one of which I expect to be berried any day. Hard to spot them all at the same time, so who knows. What I do expect to see is a cloud of babies in a few weeks, which is why I was curious as to how many could be kept. My son's intention is to get a few friends set up with some, keep plenty, then start offering them on S&S to fund the purchase of some of these awesome critters Pedro likes dangling out there!!! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
woohoo

Owen i have been wanting some of these for a long time but not quite ready for them :)
let me know when you have some for sale! im in no hurry to get them and more than willing to wait :)
i think this is a great idea! and i would love to help out your son with his hobby!

amy

·
Registered
803 Posts
No kidding on Pedro's critters! I'm like your younger son ~ LOVE yellow. ;)

Well, good luck to your son. I'm sure he'll do well with these, especially with a helpful dad like you. :biggrin:

(And thanks for the compliment on my tank. :biggrin:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts