The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've seen a lot of conflicting information out there, but wanted to get some input. I have lost three out of nine healthy adult cherry shrimp in the past week. There are also some juvies in the tank, but I can't get a good count. Nothing noticeably wrong with the water parameters. TDS is a little high ~450. I'm looking into getting a RO system, but for now I'm stuck with carbon-block filtered tap water. Anyhow, I have the same parameters in my yellow tank, and they're all doing fine.

Substrate in this tank is Fluval Plant Stratum with a little Flourite Black Sand and a few river pebbles mixed in. Flora is DHG, micro chain sword, dwarf sag, crypt wendtii, java moss, and one anubias nana glued to a piece of driftwood.

The anubias came out of a bowl that had been blasted with high light. It was healthy when I took it out, and the bowl was full of daphnia and seed shrimp. I may have broken a few leaves when I was trying to position it on the wood. All the other plants in the tank are growing well, but the anubias has been withering. The old leaves are basically slowly disintegrating, but new growth is popping out. I figured it was just the plant adjusting to change in lighting, water, etc. I want to clip the dying leaves and clean up the plant, but I'm afraid to touch it now.

All of the dead cherries were found next to the driftwood. Two of them still had their full red color, but one turned very bluish. I have since noticed another shrimp in the tank that appears to be turning blue. Could this be a sign of stress? It doesn't look like the milky white that I've seen in the past with bacterial infections. Most of the shrimp in the tank are very red - fire grade at least. Could the decaying leaves on the anubias be releasing toxins into the water?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doubt it's the glue. I used plain old Loctite super glue, which I have used for a number of projects. And I only put a dab on the rhizome to hold it to the wood. TDS, maybe. Like I said, none of my yellows in my other 10G are dying, but I have noticed they continue to drop a lot of eggs. Out of the last three pregnant females, I have maybe a half-dozen shrimplets in the tank. And I see a ton of yellow eggs scattered across the substrate. I think the last couple that berried dropped them immediately.

I have definitely not seen any berried cherries, although it's hard to tell with them being so dark red. The shrimplets that I have in that tank came from a female that was pregnant when I bought her and released in the holding bucket.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do not have issues with anubias and shrimps too. Perhaps you should tie the plant on the driftwood instead. It looks like something is poisoning your water and I doubt anubias would be able to wipe out that many shrimps.
Just fyi, I just had bad problems with my driftwood and removed most of it, leaving only 1 in my nano.
After removing the driftwood and water change, my shrimps behavior went back to normal, otherwise they were clustering together in a corner for days, and I lost a few of them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No problem here either. I have 5 Anubs in my Taiwan Bee red colony alone.
Start problem solving...there is always a reason, when you can find it. Good luck

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tempted to remove the wood and cut the dying leaves off the anubias. The new growth looks good, but there are still a lot of dying leaves. Most of the flesh has rotted away and only the veins are left. As far as I can tell, I'm still holding steady at six adults and at least five juvies. One of the adults is still blue, but seems to be behaving normally.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there anything else in your water causing anubias to die off like that? They are pretty hardy in my opinion. The only time I saw mine in bad condition was when I put it I to my tank when I was cycling it with ada soil.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there anything else in your water causing anubias to die off like that? They are pretty hardy in my opinion. The only time I saw mine in bad condition was when I put it I to my tank when I was cycling it with ada soil.
I think it's just the change in conditions. The bowl it came out of had MGOPM and very high light. There are no ferts in the tank I moved it to, and more medium light. Plus, like I said, I think I broke a couple of leaves when I was trying to fit it to the wood.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
first off what are all of your parameters? that is always the first place to start when you have probs. test all parameters to make sure something has not changed. you could even test in your yellow tank to see if they are the same or diff in the tanks. once you have all parameters then we can go from there

·
Registered
70 Posts
hmmmm can anybody else speak to their own personal experiences w anubias in shrimp tanks? i'm buying a tank off of someone and they're throwing in a bunch of anubias, but i was planning on using the tank for shrimp and since i'm a newbie i wanna limit my risk factors lol.

i guess if anything i can sell them to my lfs for credit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't say anything specific to cherry shrimp, but I have trimmed anubias nana quite heavily multiple times with 12+ amanos in a tank with no deaths or signs of odd behavior.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Waiting for my test kits to get here. But I returned a couple of the dead shrimp to my LFS and had them test the water. They said it was "just fine", which probably means their little strips or whatever they use weren't showing significant ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Like I said, TDS is about 450. I'm thinking about doing a water change with RO water to bring that down, but I haven't had any deaths in several days, so I'm hesitant to mess with anything.

I'm down to four adults and four juvies (that I can find). A little setback on my hopes for a thriving colony. My yellows haven't been berried for a while either. I have several that are saddled, and continually see molts in their tank, but no berries. Not since the last one dropped all of her eggs about two weeks ago. All the adults look healthy, and the juvies are growing (although a lot slower than I'd like).

I'm going to try and buy a RO system soon. I really think the TDS is an issue with the breeding, although I seriously doubt it was what was killing my cherries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts