The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about adding some fish to my 28gals cherry shrimp breeding tank so I can keep a decent bacteria colony should need to house/quarantine fish arise. What fishes won't eat my babies shrimp? Or at least won't be able to grab them in the java moss

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a few harlequin's in with mine, they may be gobbling a few but not all. ottos are what I know are the safest. just about any fish will eat the baby shrimp though. your taking your chances putting anything in there

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
according to my cherries, the ravaging neons are highly overhyped... i've seen neons sit patiently and wait their turn while a cherry had its fill on an algae wafer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Know how ravaging a small school of neons would be?
if you kept them fed well they wouldn't be looking for "snacks" but it would be hard to keep your feeding/water quality in balance. I only have one neon in my bowfront and I would have to say he is one of the more voracious fish i have when it comes to feeding time. (and he is competing with 3 gouramis, 2 white clouds and a goldfish) The only thing I keep that is more keen to eat are my dwarf frogs.

again, other than otto's your taking your chances. If there are several places to hide I wouldn't worry about it too much. if you feel they are decimating your population move them to another tank.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've kept Phoenix Rasboras (boraras merah) in a 5 gallon tank with breeding cherries and they had 0 interest in the babies.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have RCS in a 20g with 20 or so boraras brigittae (mosquito some stores call them, about 1cm long) and 6 ember tetras (a big bigger, about 1.3cm). None of them bother the adults (which are same size or larger) or the juveniles.

I did have one RCS drop its young in the tank (the same day I was going to move her to the hatchery net grrr). I only found 3 babies, able to catch 2. I isolated those two. The three survived and are fine. As for the rest of the baby shrimp? Who knows. I'm sure they looked tasty to the tiny brigittae (didn`t have the tetra then)

Now if only I could get the RCS to breed... I cheated that one time and bought a pregnant one. This tank`s going for almost a year now, plenty of saddles, nothing else. baaaaaah to all of you with your gazillion baby rcs =p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts