The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for information, all of the usual. I currently have 12 in a 55 gal. planted. Originally I purchased them from the LFS because I thought they would look really cool in contrast to the greens in the tank (they do). I am not sure what the potential of the species is. The males that I have are amazing (I think). My favorite ‘man of the tank’ looks a deep black cherry red. He is really dark. Other males are also very dark red and they all have very healthy pronounced fins. The ladies are also stunning. The separation or color is very distinct. In all of the research that I have done, none have looked like these (not tooting my own horn, IMHO). All of this brings me to these questions…. How to breed them. Not only for myself, but to spread the love of the cherry. When I put them into the tank there was very little consideration of their needs other than the fact that they need freshwater with no predators in the neighborhood. But the resulting fish… I love. What do I need to breed??

Thank you all.

This one is for you frozenbarb.. LOL.

·
Registered
722 Posts
typical egg scatterer (did i just make up a word? :smile: )
they will breed readily.my advise to you is to get a small tank..fill it with java moss or something like naja grass (so when they spawn the eggs will be hidden and not eaten)
after they spawn ,remove the parents...the fry are small and have eggsacks....when the egg sacks are depleted.. feed with baby brine shrimp...when they get older you can use brine shrimp and crushed flake

·
Registered
295 Posts
The method that worked for me in inducing a spawn in my cherry barbs was to place a pair in a 10gal tank with a good size piece of java moss and feed them with nothing but blood worms and brine shrimp for a couple of days and then using a strainer I "rained" on their tank with cool water. All that involved was simulating a rain using a strainer and about a quart of soft, cool water. Since Cherry Barbs typically breed in the rainy season when mosquito larvae are plentiful, recreating that environment is not too difficult.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
clean new water will stimulate them to breed.. it's not that hard..

Congrats, looks like you have some great genetics.
Where did you get them? I can't find those anywhere.
I just have some generic cherries from petSmart.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny thing is that I got them from my LFS. It is a really nice LFS. They really care about the hobby. I won't but from stores that do not quarantine new arrivals and this LFS keeps them on lovkdown for 7-10 days.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Mine spawn all the time, but the other fish in the tank eat the eggs as they are being scattered. I have two albino cherry barbs and their color is a neon pink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts